Sabre 45's in Gear Zone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
http://www.venturesport.co.uk/venturesport_product.asp?parseid=4025
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/penrith_survival/pages/moreinfoa.asp?recordid=52922&cid=55

Just be sure that what you are getting is what you expect. As I understood things the Endicotts version was an older one. Not sure what features it has. Could be wrong, so don't take my word for it.

I know that PRI made some changes and that the Sabre 45 I got from them earlier this year differs from those being sold 12 months before that. Mine has clips to take PLCE side pockets, longer compression straps which are now positioned to line up with side pouch webbing loops.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Chris,the main change from the older version I have to the newer ones is that the new ones have a padded waist strap whereas mine is just plain webbing.
I cant see from the photos what version these packs are so it maybe worth a call to the retailer prior to buying.

leon-1

Steve you have the original version of the Sabre 45 (I had one till it got knicked), since then the sabre has changed a fair bit. The position, lenght of the side straps, a decent padded hip belt, a change to the harness and clips being added to the sides. The shape has changed very slightly as well.

All of this means that there are at least 3 different variants of the Sabre45 out there, I have owned 2 of the variants and was recently looking at Chris's which is a newer and slightly better model than mine. There are a few variations:)

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
You are probably right Leon, I've had mine for a few years now, basically still going strong and its quite easy to add a bit of padding to the hip belt to make it a more comfortable carry.

leon-1

Steve this is a picture of me carrying the original Sabre 45 about 5 years ago (it was something that stayed with me when I left the forces:D)
Elan_Valley2.jpg

This had no waist belt padding at all and it was a little tight across the yoke on my shoulders , I don't have that problem with the later ones, but strangely enough I still miss it:D

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Hey guys - I've been thinking about picking up one of these packs to replace my aging and cumbersome Vango Sherpa 65. I'm looking to go modular, so the PLCE compatability is really interesting. Unfortunately (but not surpisingly) I can't find one of these locally to try it on before I buy.

I've already got a PLCE belt with a couple of pouches for water bottle / purifier / FAK / brew kit. So my question is: how comfortable is this pack when worn over a PLCE belt with pouches round the back?

leon-1

Welcome to BCUK firstly:D.

Difficult question to answer, it depends greatly on how high you wear your web belt and how high you like a pack to ride.

I have used them before with the pack sitting on top of the webbing and it was comfortable enough, but I would suggest trying one first with your belt gear on.

One of the guys in your part of the country is bound to have one of these packs, try to get to one of the meets locally so you can try it out is my suggestion.

As I said in the earlier part of this thread they have changed a bit from my initial one that I bought (the one in the picture) so it may not be accurate to gauge by the picture whether it would be OK with a web belt.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE