Sabre 45 Side pockets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Bought the Karrimor Sabre 45 L last week and I must say i really love it. I am now thinking of buying the sidepockets.

On Ray mears site the cost £35 but I have seen PLCE pockets on other places for only £15. Ist this the same side pockets or are those on RM site made by Karrimor?

Wich is best for the Sabre?

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The ones on RM site are genuine, badged PRI (karrimor) sidepockets. I bought em, but dont like em. I think thy're too big (12.5L each). I think they'd be better balanced on the sabre 75.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I would have thought that they would make a 45 look odd ... depends if you want the carry capacity really!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Like Adi says, they just dont look right. I think they're designed for the 75. They seem baggy, if you filled em to capacity, the side straps would not be longenough to go round em. The top strap rides too high and the bottom strap is too short.

here...

sab1.jpg

sab2.jpg

sab3.jpg

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've got PLCE pockets for use with my Sabre 45. £15 from Strikeforce, including yoke to use as day sack.
I'm no expert but they seem fine to me. Fit quite easily and bost capacity nicely. My sabre is the version with non padded waist belt.

Dave

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I have plce side pockets on mine, fit is fine, I got mine from my local surplus store for £15 with a new yoke thrown in. If you don't mind a bit of colour variation thats the option I'd go for.
My packs the same as Martinidave's no padded waist band.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Karrimor kit, Snug pack rocket, Web-tex, Arktis and PLCE are all designed to be interchangable and this is the first good thing that has happened to the market in a long time.

Obviously aimed at making the soldiers life easier I personally salute all those compaines for the bold move they have made and I hope they continue - would be nice to be able to match a water proof jacket from one with a fleece from another without having to test zips and such for example.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Have you got some pics viking as i am thinking of getting the 45 in the new year with side pockets do you think it would be big enough for the nanok -10 plus normal amount of gear.

Cheers Mal

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
mal said:
Have you got some pics viking as i am thinking of getting the 45 in the new year with side pockets do you think it would be big enough for the nanok -10 plus normal amount of gear.

Cheers Mal

I don´t know how big the Nanok -10 is and since I dont know how much kit you normally carry it´s very hard to say. Sorry but I have no photos of this pack.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Martyn said:
Like Adi says, they just dont look right. I think they're designed for the 75. They seem baggy, if you filled em to capacity, the side straps would not be longenough to go round em. The top strap rides too high and the bottom strap is too short.

here...

sab1.jpg

sab2.jpg

sab3.jpg

Hi,

Thats an interesting combination of carabiners Martyn what do you use those for???

I would say the Loops on the Sabre Hip belt are a hangover from a climbing design. The thought in the climbing world is that a 45 ltr sac is used for winter climbing in the UK ( when you need the extra capacity for warm kit and perhaps a thermos) and alpine climbing. You'd climb while wearing the rucksac so perhaps the waist belt might impinge on your access to your harness there also useful as a holster for a short climbing Ice axe or ice hammer you can holster one of your ice tools in the loop while you place protection ect.

I guess that Karrimor / PRI thought that they might prove useful to Military Personel and incorporated them in the design.

Hope that proves useful.

John

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Martyn said:
Hanging stuff up with. I'm no climber ot anything, the krabs just come in handy.

Right oh,

It's just the combination of an HMS screw gate and a bent gate snap link on a quickdraw is pretty unusual.

Looks nice though
:wink:

Cheers John

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I thread carabiners through the shoulder strap too ... they are handy for hanging stuff up, securing the sack when not in use and for lashing sacks together for river crossings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE