Saami crafts

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm trying to remember, aren't they woven with a "gate" style loom? If so it is dead easy to make one, and in the basic sense also fairly easy to use. A quick google indicates that they were either free hand braided or woven on a gate (http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandgrind). An google (image) search for "bandgrind" will show a number of examples of gates, as well as instructions written in incomprehensible foreign languages (e.g. Swedish).

Toddy might know the correct English terminology; I don't.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The originals were made on a small loom like this but most of the stuff used on modern costume is produced industrially these days.

Saami-21.jpg

Tablet weave or bands produced on an inkle loom are a good substitute if you want something close to the originals or the link above is more like the modern stuff.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The Bandgrind shown above is known in this country as a "rigid heddle". In the New World it's known as a "Backstrap Loom". It can be easily made from ice lolly sticks. Ice lolly sticks can be bought from moddeling or craft shops in large bags. You just need to drill a small hole through the middle of each one then space them out evenly with a stick above and below as long as you want the heddle to be. The wider the heddle, the wider the band.

A rigid heddle is also a very useful tool for making tump lines.

Eric

Last edited:

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
If anyone is looking for handwoven banding like this. There is a young woman living on the Yukon River about 40km downstream of Dawson City, YT that sells her product for $20-$30CAD/metre depending on the width. Send a pm and I can provide her name and email address. During the summer they have reasonable communication, but come winter they pick up mail/email every 3-4 months.

This summer I was able to spend some time learning the technique and the method for copying and developing patterns. Her work is exquisite, and she is a delight to converse with.

forestwalker

The Bandgrind shown above is known in this country as a "rigid heddle". In the New World it's known as a "Backstrap Loom".

Ahh, I wondered if it was the same, but my quick (and furtive) googling at work did not establish this. Knowledge. Love it.

It can be easily made from ice lolly sticks. Ice lolly sticks can be bought from moddeling or craft shops in large bags. You just need to drill a small hole through the middle of each one then space them out evenly with a stick above and below as long as you want the heddle to be. The wider the heddle, the wider the band.

A rigid heddle is also a very useful tool for making tump lines.

Or one could be made from wood with a minimal level of skill and tools. I suspect that thin birch ply would work ok.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE