Rucsac webbing straps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jazz006

Jun 7, 2013
Dundee
Hi guys, looking for some advice for this rucsac I just got

zydy7equ.jpg

It is in good condition but has not been used for a time and as a result some of the straps are a bit stiff and will not move freely through the buckles.

Any way to soften the straps?

Thanks
Jazz

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Try and give them a good soaking first and see if that helps, maybe giving them a mash and squeeze in your hands to loosen them up.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
If the bag has been stored for a while (especially surplus), all the dirt and dust gets worked into the webbing, and they can be really hard to move. Perhaps go one further than Shewie's excellent suggestion, and try giving the whole bag a really good clean. Again, if its surplus, it might need it anyway.

The best I've found is to unzip any side pockets, etc, and bug the whole lot into a shallow bath with some Oxi Cleaner (or something like it). Soak it for a while to let the Oxi start working. Give it all a good scrub with a vegetable brush, etc (and Vanish type spray stuff is good for getting off serious stains), and then rinse off (with the shower or garden hose), and put it on the line to dry out on a nice sunny day.

Hopefully, the webbing will be fine after that, but someone on this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/buoyancy-compensators-bcs-weight-systems/416442-very-stiff -webbing.html suggested 'the easiest way I've found to soften stiff webbing is to loop it over a bar (like a chin up bar) then with as much weight as you can apply on, pull it over the bar in one direction, then the other. Do this as many times as necessary.'
Hopefully, soaking should work, because that sounds a faff!

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Take the aluminium strips out of the back (on the inside) and then take to a launderette for a service wash.

Spray with a waterproofing spray afterwards.

Rub all the zips with a candle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE