Rucksacs for kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Hi all, could anyone offer any recommendations for childrens rucksacs ?

My girls are 8 & 10 years old, average height but typically skinny kids. I guess I need something on the lines of women's 10-15 litre daypacks with fairly well padded straps. A bit different from your average bergan but maybe someone else has been here before me ...

BTW - I know most of the the brands, I just can't spot anything "proper" in such a small size. I don't want to wind them up trying packs for size if no-one makes anything small enough.

Cheers for any help, Alick

M

mbrodw

Personally for youngsters i quite like the "shadow" from Karrimor they come in 10, 15, 20 & 25 litre versions! The best things to do is have a look at their website www.karrimor.com and see if they have a got a store in your area as their staff are really well trained and will be able to get a really comfy sack your little one! You can get them for about £20 i did own one for around town and i think they are worth the cash as they are really robust and comfortable-well wortha look!

Another company worth a look is tatonka-these do small sacks if you think 10l is too much. They arew invariably cheaper and their sacks from my experioence are invariably a bit less robust but tstill a qualiy brand!

www.tatonka.com

Sorry if i went on a bit!

Mark

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
the god of bush craft should strike me down for saying this:

Gelert,, peter storm, Wynnster ect, are all highly disposable products but they do seem to cater for little people.

the reasoning for buying would be:

the bag is smaller so less weight can be carried and less chance of it breaking.

the bags are cheaper so you will mind less if it does break!

they are usually fashionable colours or styles so the child is more likely to want to use it!

i remember using a simular bag at school, it lasted a few years, and i really trashed bags!

do not, go for a single sholder version, it will eventually cause bhack problems if large weights are carried!

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Nice one guys, your suggestions are really useful.
I especially like the look of that karrimor pack. Design looks good and the range of sizes seems ideal. Now why didn't it occur to me to look for daypacks at the end of the "trek" category on their site :-D

Many thanks, Alick

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
yes do say which works best! i have a 3 year old that may take an interest in camping at some point!

(don't worry i wouldn't make him carry a "real" weight! :wink:

M

mbrodw

I think it's nice if kids carry something e.g. when i was about 7-8 and we would go walking as a family, i would carry some sweets or maybe my lunch, a bottle of water, my pocket knife and maybe a wolly hat/cap and sun cream!

Mark

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Kids love to feel they're doing their bit!

My son has always carried his own gear - of course thats usually just a waterproof, waterbottle and a few nick-naks but it gives him a sense of achivement.

We recently climbed Snowdon and he was as proud as punch to have done it under his own steam.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I always used to carry a little red and yellow rucksack on all our walks from the day that I could. I also used to go everywhere with a red scarf tied around my head like a pirate :-D. Always the practical one.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Guys, thanks again for the advice.
I measured up the kids backs and went shopping.
I settled on the smallest (10 litre) karrimor shadow for my 8 year old. Good value I think, at under £13 from the karrimor factory shop at the Lowry designer outlet place in Manchester. They have a minimum 15% off all packs at the moment.
Very simple, but well made.
Had to tell myself three times to trust my ruler not my eyes. I would have chosen sizes that were too large otherwise.
Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE