Rucksack adjustments/problems

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I am still trying to adjust my rucksack. Aside from the hip belt/back length/load lifter/arm strap/hip tension straps, there is the frame shape to bend, which I am having an awful lot of trouble getting right. Does anyone have any idea how to bend these correctly?

Also how to pack the load, there are many countering views, heaviest top heaviest bottom heaviest closest to your back(my personal view due to counter balancing even though the weight gets higher from the pivot point and possibly further from the back because of the backs natural arch) what is your view? If you wanted to add extra volume would you add extra width or extra height? Any other tips to try when loading anyone has?

Also a few problems with it. The pack is too bulbous when packed it is so thick that it is a counter balance. The problem of the counter balance led to the attempts to re bend the frame to get the load closer to the back. This will be modified by sewing machine, as will the saggy bottom on the bag due to the fact that the bottom sags past the hipbelt with its bulbous characteristics. I think the bag will end up with a shark stubb nose base narrowing drastically at thebase.I had a look in the north face today and with the extra removable daybag on there 80l bag it must have been 18 inches thick. if you where to buy a rucksack what shape would you look for? .

All physics theories greatly accepted.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The advice I offer D of E classes is to loosen all the straps on the sack and put it on your back - if you are adjusting your pack at a separate time to just setting off, make sure you are wearing similar clothing to what you intend to wear when out & about.
Tighten the waist strap until the bottom of the pack is secured to your waist above your hips, then slowly tighten the shoulder straps until the weight begins to come off the waist strap. There should be straps that tighten between the should harness and the top of the pack - tighten these to bring the top of the pack close to your back and finally secure the chest strap and make any minor adjustments.
When you move about, the pack should move with you and not flop from side to side - yet not be so tight as to hold your body in an un-natural posture.
If you have bent the frame and are trying to re-bend it, you might be in for a long, slow journey to getting it right. Some shops can offer good advice on rucksack fitting.

Increasing the volume depends on what you want to do while wearing it, are there any height or width restrictions on your route or specific things that you want to fit into your pack.

While heaviest items are best placed close to your center-of-balance, the actual packing sequence varies with what you want out first or want to pack last. If you are having major difficulties, can you lighten the load by trimming your requirements or using a different rucksack?

There are many influencing factors and you'll only be able to adjust some of them, the rest will be a compromise.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
What pack you using mate and what sort of loads (weight wise) are you carrying at what sort of distances?

What sort of pain are you feeling and where?

Have to say i'm absolutely amazed by how many people i see hiking with badly adjusted packs.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Thanks for the answers. I'm using a karrimor panther as it's light, and isn't the first pack I've bought and been uncomfortable with. Primarily it's light, and even though I'm now spending more money on it up the tailors, I feel if I buy another pack it's back to square one. I've come to the conclusion backpacks are individual.

The main problem points before I bent the frame was the base pad in the hipbelt sat at an angle due to the bend of the frame.

The second problem being the bag sagged due to its bulbousness

Third the hipbelt sits at the angle down on the back and riding up on the front.

Weight wise 15kg and 10 miles.there are no restrictions reallly on pack size.

Thanks for the replies, the trouble with the load the pack this way and that way, is though itkeeps the whole centre of gravity at a point, bulky packs are still bulky packs.I think my next pack is an external frame. Nice flat pack close too the back.

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Thanks for the answers. I'm using a karrimor panther as it's light, and isn't the first pack I've bought and been uncomfortable with. Primarily it's light, and even though I'm now spending more money on it up the tailors, I feel if I buy another pack it's back to square one. I've come to the conclusion backpacks are individual.

The main problem points before I bent the frame was the base pad in the hipbelt sat at an angle due to the bend of the frame.

The second problem being the bag sagged due to its bulbousness

Third the hipbelt sits at the angle down on the back and riding up on the front.

Weight wise 15kg and 10 miles.there are no restrictions reallly on pack size.

Thanks for the replies, the trouble with the load the pack this way and that way, is though itkeeps the whole centre of gravity at a point, bulky packs are still bulky packs.I think my next pack is an external frame. Nice flat pack close too the back.

First things first, have you got the hip belt set right?

If your hip to the shoulder strap adjustment is out then you don't have a chance of getting anything else sorted.

Can you take a sideways pic with you wearing it with all the straps done as you normally would?

Important bits to see are the location of the hip belt and the angle of the shoulder straps.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
First things first, have you got the hip belt set right?

If your hip to the shoulder strap adjustment is out then you don't have a chance of getting anything else sorted.

Can you take a sideways pic with you wearing it with all the straps done as you normally would?

Important bits to see are the location of the hip belt and the angle of the shoulder straps.

Not at the minute it's in pieces going to the tailors. I've read karrimors fitting rei, amongst others, all mostly the same. Thanks for the advice I will be sure to get this certain. One problem is the splitting of the shoulder straps, you can put them on, do the sternum strap, but with any considerable weight they slowly splay wider, but then again the waist belt staibalisers..........

The reason I say bend the frame is that it seems too angular for me.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Not at the minute it's in pieces going to the tailors. I've read karrimors fitting rei, amongst others, all mostly the same. Thanks for the advice I will be sure to get this certain. One problem is the splitting of the shoulder straps, you can put them on, do the sternum strap, but with any considerable weight they slowly splay wider, but then again the waist belt staibalisers..........

The reason I say bend the frame is that it seems too angular for me.

The frame shouldn't really offer much in the way of back support, the frame is really there to spread the load down to your hips.

It's your hips that should be taking the vast majority of the load weight.

If your shoulder straps are slipping down then it sounds to me as though you've adjusted the pack so it's too short.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
The frame shouldn't really offer much in the way of back support, the frame is really there to spread the load down to your hips.

It's your hips that should be taking the vast majority of the load weight.

If your shoulder straps are slipping down then it sounds to me as though you've adjusted the pack so it's too short.

Well I'll just keep trying different things. Maybe the strap are just too short anyway!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Well I'll just keep trying different things. Maybe the strap are just too short anyway!

I'd be extremely surprised if they are.

Most common mistake i see is that folks wear their rucksack too low, it needs to be up on the hips not round the waist, as i say your hips should take the vast majority of the weight, the shoulder straps should be there to take some of the weight but more for stability.

If the shoulder straps are pulling down your shoulders then
1/ The pack is too short
2/ Hip belt is too low
3/ You have the straps to tight

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I'd be extremely surprised if they are.

Most common mistake i see is that folks wear their rucksack too low, it needs to be up on the hips not round the waist, as i say your hips should take the vast majority of the weight, the shoulder straps should be there to take some of the weight but more for stability.

If the shoulder straps are pulling down your shoulders then
1/ The pack is too short
2/ Hip belt is too low
3/ You have the straps to tight

Right it's back from the tailors, got a nice little bottom on it now. Cbr6fs it's not that the shoulder straps are pulling down, just when the bags loaded they spread apart slowly, and the bag begins to lean away from my back.

As for the higher versus wider debate. I've been looking at some of the kielty packs that are external frame. They are high and I can only think that suck height plays havoc with the centre of gravity. Quite like the look of the Karrimor sabre 45 wide rather than high, only problem is the sewed in hip belt, with my skinny hips I'd have bruses fast, or another trip to the tailors.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Yup, must say the guides are wrong. I found the load lifters should take most of the stress along with the arm strap adjusters, certainly not what the Karrimor one advises, this holds it next to the back. The actual back length straps seem to be fine even if left slack. The smaller less saggy bottom on the pack means a lot less counter balance.

Edit

Just for posterity,

I have put the curve in the shoulder blade bend supports another 3 inches up the back, a lot more comfortable

Edit 2

Again for posterity.

I flattened the hip belt bends, suits my posture lots better, and the bend in the shoulder blade point should be just to the top of the shoulder blade I believe, but wouldn't swear on it just yet.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE