Royal Marine Arctic Bergen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

barclay03

Jul 14, 2014
Glasgow
This old bargen has been sitting at the back of my old mans shed for the past 20 years or so, covered in spiders and unloved. I thought I would dig it out and give it a clean up. Tried to find info on it etc but google didnt come up with much, most of the hits were actually from this forum.

Needs 1 or 2 small repairs, but generally not too bad condition. Also fired the arctic sleeping bag and the roll mat on for effect lol20200423_184043.jpg
20200424_175015.jpg
20200424_175039.jpg
20200424_175135.jpg
20200424_175317.jpg

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
From the photos I would say, that looks like an expensive high quality expedition ruck sack which now a days costs new from European production round about 500 €.
Should it be uncomfortable, you could ask in this forum which modern carrying system would fit. Savotta and Tatonka sell similar stuff for example, a larger community plays around with old similar looking Swedish army rucksacks.

I guess if you replace the hip belt and carrying straps it will become more comfortable.
But I used a lot over many years and several thousand kilometers an archaic more than 100 years old swiss artillery Tornister which fits perfectly to me and which is in my opinion absolutely comfortable how it is. I just added an old Bundeswehr padding to my swiss carrying leather straps which looks more or less like the carrying strap padding at your photos. And I used another German BGS Rucksack with wide leather carrying straps which is comfortable how it is.

What I want to say: If it's comfortable or not depends mainly on the right fit and correct adjustment, not on the thickness of the padding in my opinion.

And of course mainly the weight one throws in it is the reason if a hike is a fun or a torture.

Last edited:

barclay03

Jul 14, 2014
Glasgow
Nice vintage pack there.

What's it like on your shoulders, standard military style comfort? :)

In honestly, I've no idea yet as I've never carried it lol one of the repairs needed is reattaching the D-ring that one of the straps goes onto. Though, I imagine it maybe be worth going with a different waist belt atleast lol

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I remember those packs, the frames make it quite versatile, used one for a number of years in Norway, artic training. Good solid pack, fairly comfy to use and you can change the carry height at the back of the pack to suit your needs.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
My back started to ache just looking at that. They were far better than what was in general use at the time but i wouldnt use one now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE