Royal Mail to ban handling firearms and even firearm components!

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Just got an email from Chambers Gunmakers who provide loads of spares for all sorts of guns asking their customers to object to Royal Mails plans to not handle firearms or their component parts which quite frankly stinks of useless people in useless made-up job roles twiddling their thumbs all day long thinking up new ways to fill the void of their meaningless days at "work" much like the pathetic politicians and think tank groups creating garbage legislation, red tape and ever more statutory "laws" that no person of sound mind could possibly conceive of in the first place let alone become enacted in to the rule books!

Without Chamber's and Royal Mail my air rifle would still be running as crap as it did the day I got it! So all of you with guns or planning on getting one, take the time to let Royal Mail know how stupid they are being, but unfortunately they are so sad and pathetic that they have even made the response process as long winded and complex as humanely possible, so instead I simply emailed zoe.allchorn@royalmail.com to let her know what a sad cow she and her fellow chums must be!

Link to Royal Mail proposals, http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/Proposals_to_prohibit_Firearms_from_postal_services.pdf

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
yep this proposal will ruin custom part makers all over the country! email in your complaints to help keep these small business's and private sellers rights active!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Why not just stuff 'em and use a good courier service?
I know of at least one country goods company up here that were so exasperated with rm that they use a well known courier for all their mailing.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Why not just stuff 'em and use a good courier service?
I know of at least one country goods company up here that were so exasperated with rm that they use a well known courier for all their mailing.

because only royal mail allow their service for guns (untill this crap goes ahead)

the other services are used but don't actually allow it in their rules.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
because only royal mail allow their service for guns (untill this crap goes ahead)

the other services are used but don't actually allow it in their rules.

I could be wrong but I suspect someone will see a business opportunity and open a new service which will handle them. If nothing else, the gun manufacturers themselves will likely forn a co-op to do so.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I could be wrong but I suspect someone will see a business opportunity and open a new service which will handle them. If nothing else, the gun manufacturers themselves will likely forn a co-op to do so.

unfortunately I doubt that entirely.. it's a good diea but soo unlikely.

Royal mail is a public service, they should not be trying to police a service that is already highly policed by the actual police. As many complaint and protests as possible will save dozens of jobs, business's and our rights to trade!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
unfortunately I doubt that entirely.. it's a good diea but soo unlikely.

Royal mail is a public service, they should not be trying to police a service that is already highly policed by the actual police. As many complaint and protests as possible will save dozens of jobs, business's and our rights to trade!

Perhaps so. Remember though that as a public service, they are (or should be) accountable to the government as well as the public. With that in mind you might also direct some of your complaints/concerns to your M.P.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Perhaps so. Remember though that as a public service, they are (or should be) accountable to the government as well as the public. With that in mind you might also direct some of your complaints/concerns to your M.P.

yep, they are a public service and should not be dictating to the public! Alot of people on the airgunforums are contacting their local Mp's, but in typical British fashion our cries will be likely ignored in the end, regardless of trying. They did try this crap twice a few years back but were stopped by ofcom. I don't know how it will go this time though..

I like to think thatour tax funded services should provide and adequet and fiar service to it's people..but they try this sort of stuff with barely any notice or time to get it prevented. And most people won't bother to spread the word of write to them expressing their concerns, MP's won't touch a gun related matter with abrge pole and this new rule will benefit noone! (apart from gun shops)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This is where small business couriers shine, grab the Yellow Pages and find one, for international freight it'll take a little more searching.

In some cases international might be easier. Guns haven't been allowed in the mail since 1968 here. At least not whole guns or the reciever section unless being shipped between two licensed gun dealers.

That said, air rifles, and black powder guns are basicly exempt from being considered as guns for those purposes

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
This is where small business couriers shine, grab the Yellow Pages and find one, for international freight it'll take a little more searching.

maybe for a whole gun, but for something like a trigger sear, breech or trigger guard would cost in excess of their own value to send! It's unfair and royal mail need to stop stupid ideas like this. They offer a terrible service the best of times and aren't accountable for it!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All you need to do is take "reasonable precautions". You don't need to be licensed or even take any precautions on non licensed components (e.g. magazines, springs etc.) that the Royal Mail includes in its proposal to ban

This from the BASC

The consultation document states that Royal Mail is concerned as it is unable to guarantee the safe custody of firearms during carriage within the meaning of section 14 (1) of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988. It says that in order to provide safe custody it would be required to set up a dedicated handling system and conveyance pipeline.

However, the legislation does not refer to a guarantee, it refers to “reasonable precautions” for the safe custody of firearms and ammunition.

I agree with their conclusions

Christopher Graffius, BASC's director of communications, said: "These proposals are quite ridiculous. Guns have been efficiently and effectively carried in the post for years. We are unaware of any occasions when this has led to crimes being committed and we find it extraordinary that a law abiding section of society should be discriminated against by a public service in this way."

Bill Harriman, BASC’s director of firearms, said: “This is a solution to a problem that does not exist. Without any evidence you wonder why we are doing it. Having gone through this process in 2005 when it was knocked on the head by the regulator, one wonders why Royal Mail is doing it again.”

Tet another piece of stupidity.

We should all write in and object

Red

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Only royal mail specifically allow it. shooting clubs will liekly either buy privately and rely on postal services or go to over priced gunshops like the rest of us.

If this goes through, there won't be another affordable way to post whole guns, parts or even pellets! it's a rediculous proposal and their claim that it won't effect anyone significantly is a rotten lie!

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/anything-airgun-related/137522-royal-mail-proposals.html it's been discussed here and there are some rough letter ideas for anyone who wants to preserve our rights via email/letter!

please contribute to the protest!

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Anyone can start an Avaaz petition these days, though I am having a lot of trouble figuring out for myself if that is a good idea for this one. It somehow seems more canny to follow the lobbying/letter writing route.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Given that BASC one of the bodies for shooting, what is to stop shooting organisations (BASC, NSRA, CPSA etc) creating thier own courier services (complete with licenses) and increasing the membership fees to cover it?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Exactly, don't bother with some petition. petitions are an easy way to ignore thousands of peoples plees in one go. Write indivdual letters that they have to store, open and read!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE