Rough walking stick/staff

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I recently found a stick (possibly some sort of cherry from a garden) in a wood pile at our scout hut that was being chopped up for fire wood.

It had presumably been there for some time as it was very dry. The thin end snapped off to the ideal length that is now, which may or may not be a good thing.

It appeared to have some potential as a rough, slightly wonky, walking staff. It was quite thick at the top which suits me as I have quite large hands with long fingers.

The bark was removed and protrusions cut off and a hole drilled for a wrist loop.

The stick was sanded down a bit, but only nominally. It would have required a lot of wood removing to make it a uniform colour.

A few coats of raw linseed oil were applied over a number of days. The linseed oil soaked in very quickly and it kept on absorbing it like a sponge.

It was left for over a week to cure.

It was then treated with yacht varnish. Again, the varnish was absorbed, especially near the top. The end-grain took a few coats before the varnish formed a gloss layer and each coat was left outside to cure.

An Alpine ferrule was fitted to the bottom, along with a black paracord wrist loop.

As it is now, it is around 530g in weight. I've no idea how strong it will be, but it will hopefully be strong enough for my needs (The absorbed linseed oil and varnish may have strengthened it!)

It is rough and ready, but is now quite an interesting looking (Wizard's?) stick and it feels comfortable my hand.

I will be testing it on a walk this weekend.

53958155338_9eac06a292_k.jpg
53957903891_d5d6582ce6_k.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just out of interest, and in no way a criticism, why did you feel the need to apply varnish over an oil finish? Nice-looking stick!

Reactions: Herman30

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Just out of interest, and in no way a criticism, why did you feel the need to apply varnish over an oil finish? Nice-looking stick!
It was a bit of an experiment.

The linseed oil kept being absorbed and it wasn't going to give the finish I wanted. I thought that varnish would add water repellency and a more contrasting finish.

The stick then also absorbed quite a bit of varnish.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I was thinking only yesterday, being at an event where people have the opportunity to run various workshops, including craft workshops, just how difficult it would be to run one on how to make walking sticks like the ones I bought to the event. Firstly I would need a supply of suitable wood blanks, and a supply of antler or rams horn or whatever, plus the drain rod fittings I use to make them screw together and sundry other items, but that would not be the only problem as I would need a supply of sharps to do the actual shaping and that would be a problem I expect with insurance and permissions. It would not be unsurmountable, but it would mean that I would have to charge to cover costs and seriously would not be worth the hassle. I just have to tell people who are curious the processes I go through to make them and the resources I use.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
It was a bit of an experiment.

The linseed oil kept being absorbed and it wasn't going to give the finish I wanted. I thought that varnish would add water repellency and a more contrasting finish.

The stick then also absorbed quite a bit of varnish.
I use boiled linseed oil, years ago I used to use polyurethane varnish, but I really do not like that kind of a finish anymore besides being too synthetic.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Having field tested the wizard stick, the verdict is in:

It's a big thumbs up.

The right length
Very comfortable in both hands
Sturdy
No vibration
The varnish held up on the grip

The Scouts thought it was good.

Reactions: Pattree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE