JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
I've been thinking about getting one of the kits. Let us know what it's like to put together mate.

Will do. First impression is its a little rough around the edges but as its self assembly I guess the point is you need to tidy and polish it up a bit. The blades all have unfinished edges on them as well so a grinder or sanding belt will be needed to put an edge on them. Its £9 so I thought I'd take a punt. It was more for my sone to get some hands on experiance of making something useful. I'll get back to you once its completed.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I just picked up my surprise package from Dave and I'm absolutely chuffed with it.

It's a really nice knife and very kind of you Dave.

I will definitely be adding some more of these to my collection.

Cheers mate.

Jon

Glad you like it mate. They're soft carbon steel and don't keep an edge forever but really easy to sharpen. It's a nice Sunday knife. Have a look at Mr Ablett's range in Redwood. They're a bit special.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Glad you like it mate. They're soft carbon steel and don't keep an edge forever but really easy to sharpen. It's a nice Sunday knife. Have a look at Mr Ablett's range in Redwood. They're a bit special.
Cheers mate. I'll have a look at the Redwood ones I like the look of the Camel bone ones he does too.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Here's another cheap Chinese slip joint to add to the collection. This time from Amazon.

The Hunters toothpick.

8yvamuza.jpg

eheby4um.jpg

yby2y8ag.jpg

Fit and finish is not too bad it's not quite as good as the Rough Riders but not terrible either.

It needed a good dose of WD40 to get it opening without feeling gritty but is ok now, it's got a reasonable snap to it but the spring is on the weak end of the scale but for a small knife should be fine.

The cutting edge measures 2 inches and overall it's 5 inches long, it also seems pretty thick and sturdy for a small blade. The tang is marked stainless and one side of the blades is marked Hunters toothpick and the other side China.
It came pretty blunt but after a couple of strokes on a stone is slicing paper.

When I ordered it they were £6.99 the price has now dropped to £5.49 which includes delivery. I would say it is definitely worth the money and is actually quite a nice little knife.

Cheers

Jon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I just picked up my surprise package from Dave and I'm absolutely chuffed with it.

ada2e4e2.jpg

It's a really nice knife and very kind of you Dave.

I will definitely be adding some more of these to my collection.

Cheers mate.

Jon

Now you're talking - best value handmade pocket knife I have ever found. I carry one every day as a proper working knife, it is simply superb.

Ablett Antler by British Red, on Flickr

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Now you're talking - best value handmade pocket knife I have ever found. I carry one every day as a proper working knife, it is simply superb.

Ablett Antler by British Red, on Flickr
I think mine will end up in my pocket a lot of the time. I'm quickly picking out favourites that get carried more frequently than others.

That's a nice knife the Antler scales are really nice.

Cheers
Jon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's a nice knife the Antler scales are really nice.

Cheers
Jon

Surprises me how much they have yellowed and changed colour with the dirt / sweat / grease that has soaked into them (thats an old picture above). The blades are almost black with patina now and I have sharpened away at least 1/4" of metal over the years. Still love the knife.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Surprises me how much they have yellowed and changed colour with the dirt / sweat / grease that has soaked into them (thats an old picture above). The blades are almost black with patina now and I have sharpened away at least 1/4" of metal over the years. Still love the knife.
I'm sure Trevor would be very happy to hear that, I get the impression that he would rather his knives were used well.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Morning All,

Here's another one from my collection which I've had for a while but not carried much, and I'm pretty sure it classes as a traditional slip joint.

5y8a5yqy.jpg

I think it was about £14 which make them really good value.

Cheers

Jon

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Good idea Jon!

That means I can post this up:

Buffalo river damascus ranger knife:

imagejpg1_zpsa7c3fc66.jpg

imagejpg2_zps15f0e13a.jpg

imagejpg3_zps29110fc3.jpg

Classy tool and performs well for its size- hard to beat for pocket carry and it's always on me when I'm in the woods :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE