Rough Rider Traditional Slip Joints

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Not too bad mate quite a nice snap to them and strong enough. The clip and sheepsfoot have got a touch of sideways blade play but nothing drastic.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
you can find original US made ones from time to time - had one a while back think it cost me £15

That's what this one is. I got it in a trade on here.

9ugyru8y.jpg

Go on Dave treat yourself especially if you can find one for that sort of price.

I think I might add some traditional sheffield slip joints to the collection at some point.

Cheers

Jon

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Another knife in the post this morning :D: this is getting addictive :eek:

Again not a Rough Rider and of a completely different pattern, but definitely a traditional slip joint.

A 1942 British army jack/clasp knife.

uvemezyd.jpg

Dave, there is no way you could find the spring on this weak it's almost a workout opening it. It's not for small pockets or light weight carry either it's a real chunky knife but I like it.

It's also 72 years old!

Cheers

Jon

Last edited:

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Yeah mate the springs on em are like a vault door. I had a huge one when I was a kid. I think it was the Navy one. I threw it at a frog with both the blade and spike extended and it disappeared into the mud never to be seen again.

Funny story but that area was covered over and they built an old folks home on the spot. My dad moved in there a few years ago. When he died a couple of months ago I was lifting his carpets when clearing his flat and half expecting to find me rusty old knife in the floor boards.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Pay day is fast approaching :D so I will be ordering some more knives towards the end of next week if anyone has any they want to sell/trade let me know. Anything slip joint/traditional considered.

Cheers

Jon

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Jon I just found something in me socks drawer you'll probably like.
PM me your address again and I'll post it off. Only one clue...It's shiny. :D

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Here's this month's addition to the Rough Rider collection

Small stockman in light root wood

a4e9ymap.jpg

And a Doctor's knife in imitation Abalone

avymepa2.jpg

Fit and finish on both of these is very good the spring for the main blade on the Doctor's knife is on the weaker end of the scale but apart from that I'm really impressed again, especially as the Doctors knife was only £6, I wasn't sure if I'd like the imitation Abalone but it's actually rather nice and much better than it looks in the picture in the HH site.

The small stockman is very nice and due to it's smaller size will probably end up in my pocket a lot.

Size difference between the normal and small stockman.

6ysaqusu.jpg

Cheers

Jon

Last edited:

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
I just picked up my surprise package from Dave and I'm absolutely chuffed with it.

ada2e4e2.jpg

It's a really nice knife and very kind of you Dave.

I will definitely be adding some more of these to my collection.

Cheers mate.

Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE