Rough Rider Traditional Slip Joints

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Evening All,

I've recently become interested in traditional pattern slip joints, in particular the Rough Rider ones as they offer excellent value for money.

Here is the start of my collection

y8unyta6.jpg

Orange smooth bone Stockman
e3y8a3yv.jpg

Amber jigged bone Whittler
avaje8un.jpg

Amber jigged bone small Toothpick
u9a3uny6.jpg

White smooth bone Peanut
e4ybyrah.jpg

Hopefully I'll add to the collection soon.

Cheers

Jon

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Agreed...I've got the whittler same as yours and the trapper which is now my edc as it meets all the legal requirements.
Cracking knifes for the money :)

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
The whittler is lovely it was my first Rough Rider and the fit and finish is spot on.

The stockman has been my work edc this week, the longer clip point has been ideal for my lunch time apple and I have discovered I really like a sheepsfoot blade.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I have a little three bladed one, I can't remember the model but it's a nice traditional pocket knife and keeps a good edge. Stiff though, so no good without fingernails.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Cracking looking knives
if anyone from rough rider is reading this, it's only right to offer traditional slippies in carbon! Please

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
can't fault the fit and finish and some of the sacles are great but if I'm honest i find them a little soulless

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
can't fault the fit and finish and some of the sacles are great but if I'm honest i find them a little soulless

I feel the same way mate. They're great wee knives for the price and the steel is very good considering what it is but I just don't use mine any more. Also I think the springs are rubbish. Then again I say that about most slip joints.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Dave-the-rave which Rough Rider do you have? Do you want to part with it if you no longer use it?

I agree carbon steel would be very nice.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Ive seen a few posts on other forums about carbon steel ones they seemed to think it would happen soon but that was about 6 years ago.

The stockman is quickly beciming my favourite pattern. I think I will order a trapper next and maybe a 6 blade stockman, Heinne Haynes can order in any of the Rough Rider knives listed on www.smkw.com so I have been looking through the hundreds they make trying to decide what I'd like next.

Last edited:

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have about 5 or 6 Rough Riders. They are terrific value for money. I just wish I could get hold of them for the prices the Americans and Chinese do.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Dave-the-rave which Rough Rider do you have? Do you want to part with it if you no longer use it?

I agree carbon steel would be very nice.

Mate I have a 2 bladed Barlow in red bone, imported from the States via Heinne.
A green Canoe. I dropped the angle on the main blade to see what the steel could take. A strop gets it stupid sharp.
A jigged bone Marbles Stockman. It has some pretty funky blade shapes...sort of Persian.

You can have them all for the price of the postage. I've no idea what that is so how about £6 through Paypal?

6a324ccf-b9f8-4f4a-8c95-c0eb71d49cc3_zps51664ead.jpg

bbb5492e-2a67-45ef-9db0-7e8e57ebe02a_zps067886b5.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE