Rough Close March '12 Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

Meet List
1. decorum
2. Mesquite + 1
3. MartinK9 (TBC)
4. udamiano (arriving Saturday)
5. Karl82 (TBC)
6. PeterH (TBC)
7. Cliv (TBC)
8. Snowfire
9. Bare Thrills +1 TBC
10. Elines (Thursday - Saturday am or possibly to Friday evening)
11. bushcraftsurvival (thurs-sunday)
12 man of tanith thursday to sunday hopefully +2 saturday night
13. John Fenna (TBC)
14. leaf man +1 (tbc)
15. Jacko 1066 (tbc)
16. Teepee +1(TBC)
17. Turbogirl + Youngling
18. Sasquatch + Joseph(tbc)
13. John Fenna (TBC)
14. leaf man +1 (tbc)
15. Jacko 1066 (tbc)
16. Teepee +1(TBC)

minor edit to departure time - depends on what the family event is on Saturday

Last edited:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I'm a definite now

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

Meet List
1. decorum
2. Mesquite + 1
3. MartinK9
5. Karl82 (TBC)
6. PeterH (TBC)
7. Cliv (TBC)
8. Snowfire
9. Bare Thrills +1 TBC
13. John Fenna (TBC)
14. leaf man +1 (tbc)
15. Jacko 1066 (tbc)
16. Teepee +1(TBC)
19. bushcraftsurvival (thurs-sunday)

Priam

Forager
May 24, 2011
Cheshire

Meet List
1. decorum
2. Mesquite + 1
3. MartinK9
5. Karl82 (TBC)
6. PeterH (TBC)
7. Cliv (TBC)
8. Snowfire
9. Bare Thrills +1 TBC
13. John Fenna (TBC)
14. leaf man +1 (tbc)
15. Jacko 1066 (tbc)
16. Teepee +1(TBC)
20. Priam (+1 TBC)

If its still On? Please Confirm ?? I noticed this post on the groups page (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/group.php?discussionid=287&do=discuss)

decorum - 25-02-2012, 10:53
It is with regret that I announce that after the next two Meets* the Rough Close Meet will be mothballed for the foreseeable future.

Thank you to all those who have come along and supported the endeavor.

* March and May / June plus the PK weekend.​

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If its still On? Please Confirm ?? I noticed this post on the groups page

decorum - 25-02-2012, 10:53
It is with regret that I announce that after the next two Meets* the Rough Close Meet will be mothballed for the foreseeable future.

Thank you to all those who have come along and supported the endeavor.

* March and May / June plus the PK weekend.​

As Phil's post says RC meet will be mothballed AFTER the May/June meet so the March meet is OK barring any unforeseen circumstances

Priam

Forager
May 24, 2011
Cheshire
Tidy Up Then:

Meet List
1. decorum
2. Mesquite + 1
3. MartinK9
5. Karl82 (TBC)
6. PeterH (TBC)
7. Cliv (TBC)
8. Snowfire
9. Bare Thrills +1 TBC
13. John Fenna (TBC)
14. leaf man +1 (tbc)
15. Jacko 1066 (tbc)
16. Teepee +1(TBC)
20. Priam (+1 TBC)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
As Phil's post says RC meet will be mothballed AFTER the May/June meet so the March meet is OK barring any unforeseen circumstances

Yup, the next two Meets* are booked and will be going ahead. The RC Meets aren't being being cancelled as such ~ more _put on hold_ for a while ;) .

* Plus the PK W/E

Jan 24, 2011
North West
Should be able to make it this time. Looking forward to the sampling the first woodsmoke of the year,

Krooko

Meet List
1. decorum
2. Mesquite + 1or 2 tbc
3. MartinK9 (TBC)
5. Karl82 (TBC)
6. PeterH (TBC)
7. Cliv (TBC)
8. Snowfire
9. Bare Thrills +1 TBC
10. Elines (Thursday - Saturday am)
13. John Fenna (TBC)
14. leaf man +1 (tbc)
15. Jacko 1066 (tbc)
16. Teepee +1(TBC
17. Krooko (arriving Friday, if not Thurs)

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk

Meet List
1. decorum
2. Mesquite + 1
3. MartinK9
5. Karl82 (TBC)
6. PeterH (TBC)
7. Cliv (TBC)
8. Snowfire
9. Bare Thrills +1 TBC
13. John Fenna (TBC)
14. leaf man +1 (tbc)
15. Jacko 1066 (tbc)
16. Teepee +1(TBC)
20. Priam (+1 TBC)
21. Krooko

Just a repaste as we'd lost a few :rolleyes:

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com

Meet List
1. decorum
2. Mesquite + 1
3. MartinK9
5. Karl82 (TBC)
6. PeterH (TBC)
7. Cliv (TBC)
8. Snowfire
9. Bare Thrills +1 TBC
13. John Fenna (TBC)
14. leaf man +1 (tbc)
15. Jacko 1066 (tbc)
16. Teepee +1(TBC)
20. Priam (+1 TBC)
21. Krooko
22. Twodogs (Sat am)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Guys, as this is gonna be my first meet, which Im very much looking forward to by the way, I just have a quick question about what you guys actually do? Is there anything sort of planned or do you just meet up and see what happens??
Sorry if the questions seem stupid but like I say I have never been to anyhting like this before!!
Im just looking forward to a couple of days away in the woods tbh!!
I no its not a course or anything and am totally not expecting it to be!!
Very much looking forward to meeting you all!!
Cheers
Steve

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hi Guys, as this is gonna be my first meet, which Im very much looking forward to by the way, I just have a quick question about what you guys actually do? Is there anything sort of planned or do you just meet up and see what happens??
Sorry if the questions seem stupid but like I say I have never been to anyhting like this before!!
Im just looking forward to a couple of days away in the woods tbh!!
I no its not a course or anything and am totally not expecting it to be!!
Very much looking forward to meeting you all!!
Cheers
Steve

Well.... it's a bit of both really. If there's a particular skill you'd like to see or learn sign out now and I'm sure someone will offer to help you out.

Alternatively mention in morning prayers on the Saturday and something impromptu should be possible to organise.

Having said all the above I've been asked by a couple folks if I could demonstrate how to make salmon trolling hooks as used by Western Native American tribal people using natural materials which I'm happy to do. If you're not familiar with them here's a picture of what they look like

P1020790.jpg

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I just have a quick question about what you guys actually do? Is there anything sort of planned or do you just meet up and see what happens?? ...

What Steve said ~ except for the Morning Prayers (a meeting which we had trialled but has now been dropped ~ hence no mention in post #01 of this thread ;) ).

Nattering with others will generally get you pointed in the right direction :D .

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Thanks for the replys chaps, the fish hooks look very cool indeed!!! Never done anything like that before so its very interesting indeed!!!
Tbh Im going to be a bit of a nightmare lol, I have never lit a fire other than a Bbq (using the bags you set alight to lol) never sharpened a knife, never really tied any knots (should be interesting putting a tarp up) never made a spoon, like I said a nightmare lol!!
I do love camping though and generally being outdoors so that for me is a good start!!!
Its actually quite daunting the thought of going somewhere, where you no absolutely no one, with no skills other than sleeping in a tent!!! I cant wait lol
seriously though, after reading a lot of great stuff on the forum and watching good old Mr Mears himself on the dot Im actually really looking forward to seeing some of these skills in the flesh!!
So when you asked is there anything in particular how about..... EVERYTHING!! lol
Just by matter of interest why were the morning cancelled Decorum?
All the best
Steve

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
...So when you asked is there anything in particular how about..... EVERYTHING!! ...

An enquiring mind is not a nightmare ;)

... Just by matter of interest why were the morning cancelled Decorum?

In theory it's a good idea, in practice it feels (to me, at least) like it breaks the flow and adds an unneeded rigidity to the course of the weekend. It was worth trying though ~ and it does work at the Moot, but not so well on a much smaller scale Meet :) .

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Tbh Im going to be a bit of a nightmare lol, I have never lit a fire other than a Bbq (using the bags you set alight to lol) never sharpened a knife, never really tied any knots (should be interesting putting a tarp up) never made a spoon, like I said a nightmare lol!!
I do love camping though and generally being outdoors so that for me is a good start!!!

The best advice I can give you is relax now... and don't try to pack in too much. It's far better to go to a meet with an idea of learning or practicing one or 2 skills such as fire lighting and knotwork than rushing around tasting this and that and not really looking at how something is being done.

The other thing to remember is don't be embarrassed to ask for advice or help as just about everyone would be more than happy to help you out.

Its actually quite daunting the thought of going somewhere, where you no absolutely no one, with no skills other than sleeping in a tent!!! I cant wait lol

Everyone who go to meets has been through the same thing you're worried about... You'll find we're a very friendly, welcoming bunch of people and before you know it you'll be laughing at yourself for worrying like you did :)

udamiano

On a new journey
seriously though, after reading a lot of great stuff on the forum and watching good old Mr Mears himself on the dot Im actually really looking forward to seeing some of these skills in the flesh!!

There is no such thing as strangers, they are just friends you haven't met yet!

Everyone has their first meet, nothing daunting about it, turn up..relax. do as much or as little as your want. If you want to know something, just ask, no one and I mean no one will have any problem with this being your first meet, and questions are a fact of life, we better ourselves by providing the answers to those who ask.. so ask away.
As Mesquite stated above, if you want to know something or learn a skill, just ask, and someone will sit down with you and show you, if they can. this isn't a course or do we provide any organised training. There is no commitment on you to learn or perform.. just enjoy being with like minded folk.

see you there..

Da

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
As has already been said - don't bother about not knowing how to do stuff - I've been going for nearly three years and I'm STILL asking questions. Some things yoi might want to consider ......

When you arrive just introduce yourself to a few people so that they know you are there and would like some help - then we can help you get set up.

As regards a fire - post one says:

"Wood fires must be raised and contained. Periodically there is a shortage of wood available to burn - if you want to cook on an open fire, bring a supply of wood or charcoal."

If you want to practice firelighting then you will need to bring some wood. But for your first fire you might want to bring something that you know you can do eg the charcoal in a bag - other people use charcoal at Rough Close (including me) because of the lack of dead wood. A full supply of wood for a weekend could be quite bulky and may not fit in your car.

For food keep it simple - boil in the bag is good enough for a weekend - although when you start looking in the supermarkets you will find that very little is actually called 'boil in the bag' these days - so just get stuff in plastic bags that are for the microwave. Make sure you have a pot tall enough to contain the bag and with a high enough level of hot water.

Instant mash can be useful - either to have separately with the boil in a bag stuff or simply as a thickener to a sauce of some kind eg spag bog sauce

Breakfast could just be hot water added to instant porridge - you can get tubs that you just add water to. Also saves on washing up.

Wraps are really useful as you can have a tin of something eg tuna and make a quick sandwich - make sure you get the flexible wraps though - the drier/inflexible ones crack and the food drops out

There is a tap very near the pitch so it's not far carry your main water container and even if you don't have a large container a (say) 2 litre coke bottle will do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE