Roselli UHC Hunting long_first impressions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Hi everybody,
I had this nordic knife from a couple of days, never used, so just my first impressions.
Specs:
Blade: UHC carbon steel, 64/66 hrc
Made in: Finland
Handle: Artic Birch
Construction: Hidden tang
Lenght OAL: 26,5 cm
Blade lenght: 13,8 cm.
Tickness: 3mm.
Weight: 130 g.
Sheath: leather

This is a special run of the Hunting 4" standard model, originally made for customers (probably russians) asking for an Hunting model with a blade 4 cm longer.
How about UHC (Ultra High Carbon) steel? According to Roselli, this steel cointain an high percentage of carbon (1,5 - 2,0 %): this could allow the blade to hold the edge more than "normal" carbon steel.

First impressions to me are both good and bad.
The blade is simple and seems to be very effective, both for hunting small/big games and carving woods. The factory edge is'nt sharp as I like, but this could be easily fix it whit a diamond sharpener i.e.
The wood handle has a "oval" section, it's pretty high, and my first impression was not so good, in fact seems not to be safe and secure at first handlings. But just field use may confirm this feeling.
As many nordic knives, there is not a lanyard hole: I don't like it, but I have to admit that the lanyard hole it's not a must for hunting and carving.
The leather sheath it's without any doubt poor, not at the level of the knife.

PROS: blade steel, blade geometry, knife light and simple.
CONS: handle not comfortable as expected (to be confirmed), sheath.

Ciao, Alfredo

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks like the same shape as my old helle futura although not as well finished. How much are they knocking these out for ?

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Well, you're probably right, but it's enough strange to buy 130 euros knife to modify handle and sheath...Probably I'll do, but if I was aware about it before, probably a Enzo could be a better (and cheaper) choice :)

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I have the Hunter and the Grandfather by Roselli, I find the handle to be just right i do have large hands and like a longer handle. i will agree the sheath is a bit naff. All in I have found the knives to be good users but its horses for courses as they say.

Mark

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I have the Hunter.
I like the 'old school,no nonsense look and feel of the thing,
and it holds a great,and very sharp edge.
Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE