Rosehips?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I am literally off out collecting some rosehips as soon as I have posted this....but...

has anyone else collected some this year? - apart from tea and syrup what can you do with them?

any recommendations would be great.

Cheers
Andy

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
right I'm back. - didn't get too much as they looked a bit rotten.

I think I'm going to give rosehip syrup and tea a go. - I have a syrup recipe in one of Ray's books but I'm not too sure if I have to cut the flowery bit off first.

Locum76 - I think the black ones are the same but black. - they are mentioned in the book so I guess they are edible.

Andy

BunnyMazonas

Sep 13, 2010
Kent
candied rosehips! Dead easy, and the tastiest fruit jellies you'll ever eat.

For every cup of (cut and deseeded) rosehips, dissolve 2/3 cup sugar in 3tbsp water. Boil rosehips in the sugar syrup for 10 minutes, carefully remove and toss in granulated sugar, then dry and store in clean, dry jars. Yum!

I'm yet to see if it is possible to keep the rosehip intact by using an olive destoner; so far I always have to cut them in half and scrape out.

Bucketosudz

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2010
UT-USA
Albeit in Northern Utah, US we have collected an Ice Cream bucket full of them and intend on making Jelly with them. The black ones are from last year/years. They are quite sweet if you gather them after the first frost of Fall.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
wine recipy here too please - i have nade some before but it was quite dry to put it politely.
The jelly also is not my favorite thing - having said that i am always ready to give em another go!!
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE