Rosehips

Hello everybody
this is my first post and I have read about rosehip syrup from photos I have seen on google they look similar to what when I was younger people refered to as itching powder maybe because of the white hairy seed inside. Could anyone please tell me if these are the same things.

sorry I don't know how to add a picture yet so can't add one

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Give them a clean, remove the seends and chop them up and add them to your bannock. Taste a bit orangey/citrusy. A very strong flavour.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
All rosehips around here have fermented on the bush by now, and are sort of past eating.

They can boiled and past through a cloth a few time to remove the hairs, it is less fiddly than trying the de-seed them. Look up nipponsoppa thats really nice:D .

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
rosehips are great but they're best picked directly after the first frost in autumn, this is when they're sweetest. rosehip tea, jelly's etc all good stuff. but as xylaria said they're way past best before now (sadly)
this coming autumn is your best time to grab em.
pete

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Slap in a bit of gelatine mixed with cold water with the syrup and put it in a jar - it makes a lovely jelly to go on your toast.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Hedgerow, during the war Rosehips were one of the main sources of vitamin C. They were made into Rosehip Syrup and given to babies and the very young. Oranges, previously the main common source of vitamin C had to be imported of course, and were rare and expensive in ships and lives lost in the convoys. My Mum and the other Gypsy women were paid to collect Rosehips in season and I seem to remember her telling me they were bought by the wartime Ministry of Supply or some similar organisation.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They were indeed :D

Did you know that the higher North the rosehips grow, well, at least that the bush started to grow, the higher the Vitamin C content ?

It's a footer of a job making vitaminC rich syrup without losing the vitamins. However, this year I tried the layers method and the syrup is lovely :cool:
Basically just layer topped and tailed rosehips in a big jar, cover with sugar, lay down another layer, cover with sugar.......and so on until the jar is about three quarters full. Let it sit for three or four weeks and the sugar pulls the juices out of the rosehips. Strain through a sieve and then through muslin to remove any hairs that might have escaped, and bottle the syrup :)
Excellent diluted in hot water, good with a hot toddy, excellent on ice cream or pancakes:cool:

This method 'might' work with the withered ones that are still about on the bushes, especially if they are washed off with very hot water and given a good shake first.

Anyone know how to work out the VitaminC content though ? :confused:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE