Rosehip Confusion.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I always thought that rosehips looked like this:
rosehip.jpg

BUT, Some sources on the net say that THIS is a rosehip---So which is it???
Early_August050small.jpg

Early_August052small.jpg

This looks more like a Tomato to me. I found what looked like a shrub with hundreds of these fruits. They are nothing like the shape of the first picture, and they are much bigger.

Cheers for any help.
Stu.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They are both rosehips, and both are edible, just different varieties. The fatter ones are rosa rugosa or somesuch, the others are the Eglantine or native wild rose.
The fat ones peel with a sharp knife and if you don't go too deep you won't have any bother with the itchycoos :D , always a good thing :rolleyes:
However, they will go to mush very quickly while the smaller ones are more frost hardy and can sometimes be found still hanging on the bushes in Winter time :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
They are both rosehips, and both are edible, just different varieties. The fatter ones are rosa rugosa or somesuch, the others are the Eglantine or native wild rose.
The fat ones peel with a sharp knife and if you don't go too deep you won't have any bother with the itchycoos :D , always a good thing :rolleyes:
However, they will go to mush very quickly while the smaller ones are more frost hardy and can sometimes be found still hanging on the bushes in Winter time :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Is one of these the "dog rose". What do you mean by not getting the "itchycoos"? do they contain some sort of irritant??

Cheers for the responce Toddy.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
You mean you never used to crush them and drop them down the back of your "mates" pants in school?

It can't have just been me, surely?

Oh...MY...GOD.. of course...Id forgotten all about that. You can tell im reaching the big 40 this year (and that my brain has started to push out old memories as new ones are made).
Cheers Tripitaka (Monkey was cool wasnt it).
Stu

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The top picture dog rose type if is left on the bush until it gets a proper frost I found you can squeeze the fruit puree out of it leaving behind the seeds, the itching powder and the skin.

The other fat orange japanese type I nibble the meat off it when out, I find when you get them there is alot of them. This type has the most earwigs living in them by far.

The black round hips are from the burnet rose. These fruit much later than the others.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Depends what you want to do with them really. Fresh and eaten like a wee bit of fruit, just a very sharp knife and slice finely free from the hairy seeds.
Gathered and made into Rosehip syrup for later in the year or adding to jams and ice creams, or again cut the flesh from the seeds and dry the pieces for adding to trailmix or making teas.
If you have a really, really reliable fine sieve then you can gather them whole for tea and just crush them whole and dry quickly. The seeds contain a wonderfully skin friendly oil :) and the flesh is very rich in Vitamin C.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE