Rosebay-willow-herb

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Rosebay-willow-herb not quite ready yet! :(
I use the seed/down for fire demos.
Theres a much smaller plant with identical seed pods I've collected loads from but i don't know what it's called it's just as good though!

it seems to grow to about 1m has similar but much smaller pink flowers and casts its seeds identically to Rose-bay-willow-herb.

I'm guessing it's in the same family but does anyone know what it is?

sorry i don't have a photo.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
that's typical isn't it, i was just Googling and found it!

Great willowherb (Epilobium hirsutm)

photo.jpg

as opposed to:

Rose Bay Willow herb (Epilobium angustifolium)
web%20rosebay%2004.jpg

there are some near me that are over 6ft tall!

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Aye that sounds like the fella.
I used cattail down as fine nest material on my last fire demonstration, and it worked a treat.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
There was some very fluffly seed floating around the allotment site recently, I think from some of the nearby willows... Went up like a rocket at the touch of a spark, and burned much more completely than any other plain fluff tinder I've tried. Most seem to just flash over the surface, but this stuff really caught fire properly.

All gone now though.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
There was some very fluffly seed floating around the allotment site recently, I think from some of the nearby willows... Went up like a rocket at the touch of a spark, and burned much more completely than any other plain fluff tinder I've tried. Most seem to just flash over the surface, but this stuff really caught fire properly.

All gone now though.

Could also have been Poplar (tree) down, thats great stuff too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds like Greater willowherb, quite pretty, almost could be a garden plant apart from the problems with the seeding :rolleyes:

I'm packing to go up to the Crannog tomorrow and I opened a bag in the shed having forgotten what it contained, and not paying attention I dropped it...............cat tail fluff everywhere :eek: What a mess :sigh:

Burns well though :cool:
So does well dried bog cotton, I gave up trying to spin it; a real pain to do, that was. I'm patient but sometimes, y'know, life's too short :eek:

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE