Rope storage and carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Daisy chaining is the most practical coiling method if you have a bag/pocket to stuff the rope/cord in for carrying.

Wet rope, can be pulled from the bag and hung up to dry with no other handling as even a tightly daisy chained rope has relatively lose coils, by contrast a laid coil has to be uncoiled to dry. Not such an issue with cord, unless it's natural fibre and it's to be stowed for a while, in which case you don't want to store it wet.

Also a daisy chained rope/cord is almost impossible to tangle whilst uncoiling it, firstly the rope/cord can only be pulled off one way, if a knot on the bite is used to start the chain and secondly, the natural tendency for twisting is annulled as the user pulls the cord off the chain.

With rope, it's easy to work any twisting out as it's laid into a round coil by counter twisting the rope as it's coiled, cord has the disadvantage for laid coiling as it's too thin and therefore doesn't offer enough resistance for counter twisting to be effective unless it's being coiled into a small coil, daisy chaining is the solution for cord, IMO.

techworm

Forager
Aug 18, 2006
lancashire
Kelly Harlton and Mors Kochanski for paracord [video=youtube;0eESQqNY__s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eESQqNY__s[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
ML's often carry a smaller (8mm) rope as a confidence rope. What I usually do (as suggested above) is to have a small rope bag which can go in the top of my day bag and you literally just feed the rope in in a similar way to throw ropes. The benefit of this is that you can have the loose end tied to a shoulder strap or similar and if you need it just start pulling it out, never had it tangle using this method.

For twine, or think cordage I keep it in a tin with a hole in the lid

80c7bf23f26eb2f1c6ff4cbfdfe4f5fb.jpg
I'm. . . an idiot. In more than 40 years of hauling around various threads and strings and twine, I never thought of this. The knots and snarls and birdsnests have been bad enough at times that I've probably thrown away as much string as I've used over the years. I'm definitely going to have to do some re-arranging in my kit, so I can implement this. Thanks!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE