A wander, Some Wild Edibles, Some Toxic Plants, Some Gear Tests..and some planes (PH)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I went out early the other morning to take some photos for a project and then some for a website. Then...later on I took some personal shots while testing out some new gear. You'll have to over-look the lighting in some of the photos, it was well past the "golden hour" of photography at this point...hence the personal stuff while I waited out the sun. The gear I am testing out at the moment is a new Becker BK2 I got about a week ago, and a prototype tinder tube extension for the nanostriker that Rob sent me to check out. I spent a little time testing gear then went on a long walk munching on wild edibles.

Here are some photos from the day I got the BK2 a few day prior. I didn't get to do a whole lot with it that day really, just took out in the woods out back long enough to form some initial thoughts but so far I already love it and think it is an awesome tool.

For a 0.25" thick blade I am really impressed with how well it will whittle fuzzies.

07Whittling1.jpg

08Whittling2.jpg

The shape of the pommel works well for a rearward grip which lets the knife chop really well for such a short blade. Cutting shelter poles with it will be a cinch.

09Reargrip1.jpg

10reargrip2.jpg

11Chopping1.jpg

12chopping2.jpg

I love how it has a heavy blade that can take some abuse such as cross grain batonning.

13crossgrain1.jpg

14Crossgrain2.jpg

And I was really happy to see that Ethan decided to share the tang extension I liked so much on the BK-7 with the new generation BK-2s. The tang extension on the BK line is one of, if not my absolute, favorite production tang extensions. Works great for using the knife in chisel fashion making notches. Combined with the heavy thick blade I think it will be awesome for digging into logs for punk or grubs, and great for busting into fatwood if needs be also.

15tangextension1.jpg

16Tangextension2.jpg

17tangextension3.jpg

18tangextension4.jpg

I also played around with a little bamboo. The thick blade doesn't bite in as deep as a thin machete, but it still holds it's own for working with bamboo.I think it will be just fine for what I want. It will do well at making shelters, water filters, containers, utensils, or fire.

19bamboo1.jpg

20bamboo2.jpg

21bamboo3.jpg

22bamboo4.jpg

23bamboo5.jpg

24bamboo6.jpg

25bamboo7.jpg

My initial impressions of the knife are that it will be a fantastic tool for my purposes. I love the grind which makes even the heavy blade very functional at cutting and whittling. I love the heavy blade that will take the abuse it will see in my hands. Good point for boring or sticking but still a strong durable point. The handle feels really comfortable though I will likely get the micarta scales soon just because I like micarta, I'm just hoping they don't effect the sheath retention as it is nice and strong just the way I like it, if so I will just stick with the stock handle scales. The sheath is fantastic for how I like to rig sheaths to suit me, and this beast will fit in my pocket easily for those days when I choose to carry it that way. At this point I am really happy with it and looking forward to getting it into the bush more.

One the morning out in the woods temps were really low up on the mountain. It never got above freezing in the shade, but luckily shade is something there isn't too much of on the top of the mountain now.

DSC_6154.jpg

DSC_6330.jpg

By the time 11:00 am rolled around I was ready for a fire and a warm up. It was a good time to test out the nano. Now...for some back ground on the nanostriker for anyone who isn't familiar with it. It is a small, ultra-lite ferro rod, handle, and striker all in one unit. You thread out the striker, unscrew the collar form the base, pull the ferro rod out, invert it, and thread it back together. Now you have a handled ferro rod and striker ready to use.

DSC_6197.jpg

DSC_6203.jpg

DSC_6205.jpg

I loved it when it first came out, and I still do now. But I also mentioned to Rob then that a similar system that allowed for tinder storage would be even more awesome. He is working on that now but in the mean time he also came up with an accessory for the nano that allows for some tinder storage. It is a tinder-tube extension the goes between the handle base and collar and turns the base into a tinder storage area.

DSC_6202.jpg

DSC_6208.jpg

The nano works fine on its own with many natural tinders. but sometimes weather conditions here are such that natural tinders need a hand due to heavy moisture. You can see how this is steaming now...any wetter and it would have been difficult or impossible to ignite with a ferro rod.

DSC_6188.jpg

DSC_6189.jpg

DSC_6193.jpg

DSC_6194.jpg

To see how the fire straw would do I grabbed the stems of some dead woody vegetation, some dead brier tips, and some small twigs for initial fuel. Some pencil sized and larger twigs for a second stage fuel, and then split some larger limbs and got all prepped and ready.

DSC_6210.jpg

DSC_6236.jpg

DSC_6240.jpg

DSC_6242.jpg

While i was getting prepped these guys came flying over.

DSC_6233.jpg

DSC_6234.jpg

Then I prepped my tinder.

DSC_6243.jpg

DSC_6244.jpg

DSC_6245.jpg

The PJCB took a spark quickly. and i laid the hollow stalks of the woody plants on first. and let that start to catch.

DSC_6246.jpg

DSC_6248.jpg

Then transferred the bark base to the fire pit area and started adding fuel. You can see the steam as the moisture burns off.

DSC_6249.jpg

DSC_6252.jpg

DSC_6255.jpg

DSC_6256.jpg

But soon I had a nice fire to warm up by.

DSC_6264.jpg

After taking a little while to thaw my hands back out I went for a hike through the fields and woods in the area checking out the fauna and flora looking for photos for the web site.

Random plant top, possible tinder.

DSC_6286-1.jpg

Jimson weed (a toxic nightshade) seep pods.

DSC_6305.jpg

Lots of this type of nightshade (also toxic) in this area too, I even found some that was still green. Man the stalks and leaves on this stuff just scream "leave me alone".

DSC_6335.jpg

DSC_6319.jpg

DSC_6320.jpg

While walking through one filed I finally walked right into something I have been looking for all year...a Mullein stalk.

DSC_6283.jpg

DSC_6281.jpg

Found a few Autumn Olives here and there. They are still sweet but a little soft now after the freeze.

DSC_6327.jpg

Have no idea what these are yet

DSC_6315.jpg

Found another thicket of Saw-tooth Oaks. Apparently the deer and squirrels really like these as I found lot of caps but only one or two acorns. Tasting these they do cause that dry feeling in the mouth but nowhere near as bitter as some acorns. May make a good flower I don't know.

DSC_6363.jpg

DSC_6352.jpg

DSC_6355.jpg

DSC_6356.jpg

Then after that I found another persimmon tree, which was really cool. They look a little rough but some were still good and really sweet.

DSC_6373.jpg

DSC_6377.jpg

All in all not a bad day. Brought home some tinders to have around, had a few wild edible snacks, and brought some persimmon seeds home too.

DSC_6392.jpg

Last edited:

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Great pictures Mistwalker, i like the look of the BK 2,looks good for what you want it for,the firesteel looks cool too.Thanks for sharing friend.Cheers.
Darren

Thanks Darren and Rich, I'm glad you liked the post and enjoyed the photos.

I'm really loving the BK2, it is a smaller knife (from my perspective) that will do the work of a much larger one and still handle the small details well also. It's like a "pocket beast" and i really like that for my uses.

Brian

excellent thread.

I liked the solid use the knife was being put to, and your knowledge of your area is good to.

many thanks for sharing.

Alan l.

Thanks Alan, glad you liked the post. I live in a temperate rain forest, and am constantly considering the scenario of being down to just what's on my belt and in my pockets. The knives I carry are always tested for fire under wet conditions, shelter making, and how they can help me perform as many bushcraft and survival techniques as possible. This is maybe the best all around knife I have found so far for my purposes. I have been studying this area most of my life, a digital camera and the internet could have been very helpful years ago.

Brilliant pics mate , i like that knife bud

Thx'x the knife looks good - photos are ace, nice post

Thanks fellas, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

I'm really liking it a lot too!

Nice pics, what part of the world is this?

South west tip of the East Appalachian Rain Forest, S.E. United States

great pics thanks, i really like the trick of balencing the kindling above the tube of bark with the two sticks

Thank you, glad you enjoyed them.

That was a way I figured out to let the fire get more oxygen in the initial phases a long time ago.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Brian

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Fantastic post. Brilliant review and great pictures as usual. I must admit that I'm usually not the biggest fan of heavy bladed knives like that but you certainly sold me on it. Might well have to change my opinions

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Hey MW, nice looking knife you've got there, I may have to cnsider one of those Beckers!

It took me a while to find your post, I didn't realise that you'd hidden it. Excellent pics and mad skills as usual!

Claudiasboris

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Thanks Darren and Rich, I'm glad you liked the post and enjoyed the photos.

I'm really loving the BK2, it is a smaller knife (from my perspective) that will do the work of a much larger one and still handle the small details well also. It's like a "pocket beast" and i really like that for my uses.

Brian

Great post Brian. That BK-2 is a larger knife (from my perspective!!) I love mine though, and think it is well suited to British Bushcraft.

Cheers

Fantastic post. Brilliant review and great pictures as usual. I must admit that I'm usually not the biggest fan of heavy bladed knives like that but you certainly sold me on it. Might well have to change my opinions

Thanks Robby I'm glad you enjoyed it. I know it's not going to slice and carve as well as a thinner blade, but what it lacks in finesse it makes up for in brute strength. For my uses that makes it perfect...I've never really been "A Mora guy" anyway. Even 1/8 or 3mm knife blades worry me in the bush here where I live. My custom "bushcraft" knife is 5/32 or 4mm and that's about as thin as I want to go. For one I intend to handle some rough use I want at least 3/16 or 5mm and prefer 1/4 or 6mm with a good grind.

Hey MW, nice looking knife you've got there, I may have to cnsider one of those Beckers!

It took me a while to find your post, I didn't realise that you'd hidden it. Excellent pics and mad skills as usual!

Claudiasboris

Thanks Claudias, glad you liked the post. Well...it was more "out and about" than a review of any one piece of gear :)

Great post Brian. That BK-2 is a larger knife (from my perspective!!) I love mine though, and think it is well suited to British Bushcraft.

Cheers

Thanks Dave, I know, I know it's not exactly little by any standards...but it is a little shorter than I have been used to fielding of late. I am more used to blade of 6 inch or 15cm or so but this one definitely performs as well or better than a lot of my larger blades on pretty much all tasks.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
"I loved it when it first came out, and I still do now. But I also mentioned to Rob then that a similar system that allowed for tinder storage would be even more awesome. He is working on that now but in the mean time he also came up with an accessory for the nano that allows for some tinder storage. It is a tinder-tube extension the goes between the handle base and collar and turns the base into a tinder storage area."

Sounds like a good idea. I'd be interested in that when it comes out. As ever , nice photo's.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Great stuff, Brian! I always enjoy your posts! Outstanding gear review and, as always, excellent pictures. How far are you from Camp Frank D. Merrill at Dahlonega?

Gordy

Sounds like a good idea. I'd be interested in that when it comes out. As ever , nice photo's.

Thanks Tee Dee, glad you liked the shots.

I definitely looking forward the idea coming to life.

awesome post great kit.........

nuf said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what he said

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the post!

Great stuff, Brian! I always enjoy your posts! Outstanding gear review and, as always, excellent pictures. How far are you from Camp Frank D. Merrill at Dahlonega?

Gordy

Thanks Gordy, glad you enjoyed it!

About 70 miles as the crow flies, but about a 2 hour drive if I remember...been years since I've been there.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE