Rope identification

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
[h=3]Dacron[SUP]®[/SUP], Terylene[SUP]®[/SUP] (Polyester):[/h]Polyester

Polyester
History: The Polyester, Terylene[SUP]®[/SUP], was developed by Imperial Chemical Industries in 1941. The rights were purchased by duPont in 1946 who subsequently developed the related similar fiber, Dacron[SUP]®[/SUP]. The introduction of Dacron[SUP]®[/SUP] rope in 1953 changed things again. The practical benefits of Nylon[SUP]®[/SUP] were retained with the critical difference that elasticity was markedly reduced. In 1957 Samson introduced the Double Braid construction, and Dacron[SUP]®[/SUP] ropes were rapidly adopted for halyards, sheets, and static climbing ropes.

• Properties: Dacron[SUP]®[/SUP] ropes stretched much less (about 3.5 - to 5% elongation at 30% of breaking strain) and were not weakened by water. Like Nylon[SUP]®[/SUP], Dacron[SUP]®[/SUP] has a relatively high density. It also melts before it carbonizes and the end of a rope can be fused using heat. It exhibits negligible creep under load and has excellent resistance to ultra violet light.

EDIT////////////

From the picture you've got it looks like it's a twisted rope rather than braided

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I believe Dacron is just a brand / company name. If you search for 3 strand polyester rope, you should find something.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE