Rope for making dog leads - where & what?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 6, 2011
UK
Evening

I wonder if any of you could kindly help me, as I've got myself in a right tizz about this!

I want to make my own rope dog slip leads. Ideally I'd like a rope or cord which is anything from 8mm to 10mm thick. As some dogs pull, something that doesn't cause massive rope burns would be nice. Inaddition I think a softer rope would also be best for handling purposes.

I'd also like, if at all possible, some reflective rope, again in the 8mm to 10mm thickness range.

I've looked at all the marine and climbing stores. Most seem to want you to buy loads of the stuff (whole spools/reels), I'm looking at trying to buy rope by the metre if possible. Don't want 100% cotton 3-strand as I have some of those leads already and eventually the fibres come undone/fray). Also not seeing this stuff for real makes me worry about the texture/feel of the rope, which is why I thought I might see if any of you had some hands on experience with possibly suitable ropes and could kindly lend me the benefit of your wisdom.

Don't mind drab or colourful ropes or even patterned ropes. Just want something that feels nice for both dog and handler.

Hope someone can help.

VERY many thanks in advance.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I braided a slip lead from £ shop paracord. Used a snap hook instead of a metal ring so can be used as a conventional lead if needs be.

Used a Turk's head knot as the stopper and back braided the handle

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hello agnes2003.

My wife makes rope things from mulitplait rope and uses it by the drum so can't help there. She's much better than me with twelve strand splicing....I prefer three as I have little patience!
What I can help with though, is point you in a useful direction.
Jimmy Green Marine will sell you all sorts of line suitable for your leads. Look on their website for either Hempline which looks like natural rope or better still look at their polyester three strand line in either 8 mm or 10 mm. depending on the size of the hand holding the line, size of animal weight etc, etc.
Hempline is in a sort of matt finish and looks great in the outdoors but if dropped will not stand out like polyester and is only available in a 'natural' colour. Polyester on the other hand has a shiny finish and is available in many bright colours. Avoid polypropylene, horrible stuff!
We buy from these people having rummaged in their 'ends' bins which is usually a fun and cheap way to buy line. I hope this helps. :)
Swyn.

Spinal

Sep 13, 2011
London
As a regular rock climber, I use my old rope for the dog lead... it's between 8-11mm usually (for a single line at least)...

If you buy online, it'll be in 30m lengths and up, but if you visit your local rock climbing store (Westway in London has one, as does Castle).... try "Urban Rock" they have branches all over, they'll sell rope by the meter.

It'll be easier for you to get "static rope" by the meter than a "dynamic rope" (one is slightly stretchy and can be used for clibing, the other, only for rappelling... either will do for a dog lead, you won't notice the stretch it's so minimal... the one I'm currently using is designed to stretch 11% when you fall on it... that's a 70+kg guy falling on it from quite a height...)

If you have no luck, let me know, I'm down at the westway 2-3 times a week and can pick up some rope for you and send it over.

Only thing it, new climbing rope wont be cheap... budget £1-£2 a meter if buying short lengths. You may be luckier by buying a secondhand 30m rope on ebay... no self-respecting climber would ever use a rope they don't know the history of, so cost should be quite low...

(or wait until I retire my next rope... in oh.... 6 months or so :p)
M.

woodgrain

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 24, 2010
Gone
There is a product called Marlow Hardy Hemp which comes in all sorts of thicknesses. They certainly do it in 6, 8, 10 and 12mm as I have some in all four. It looks like a natural 3 strand hemp rope but has a softer handle and is rot proof poly-something-or-other. Google it. I use it for painters on my wooden canoe - very strong indeed.

Last edited:

troopermaz

Apr 15, 2010
Highworth
There is a product called Marlow Hardy Hemp which comes in all sorts of thicknesses. They certainly do it in 6, 8, 10 and 12mm as I have some in all four. It looks like a natural 3 strand hemp rope but has a softer handle and is rot proof poly-something-or-other. Google it. I use it for painters on my wooden canoe - very strong indeed.

I use this rope in 10mm for alpaca restraints as it is not too abrasive for going around the ankles(cos the owners hate to think of their poor animals being in any discomfort whilst being shorn) but is strong enough to hold even the biggest animal and it also looks alot better than most poly ropes.

Dec 24, 2010
north
Climbing rope is perfect. Or you could get 8 mm 'accessory cord' which is used to make slings etc also sold in climbing shops by the meter and a bit cheaper than 'proper rope' or static.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
We get bits from the local army surplus (it's a real one, not on the high street) and the wife splices it. I'd stick with laid rope, plaited is a pain to splice and the outer braid will tend to wear quickly on a dog lead.

I take it you mean rope burns on the hands? Never had a problem but I have tough hands. You could always wear gloves. You really want a slip chain round the dog's neck, or at least a hard eye spliced into the rope, or the rope will wear very quickly at the eye. Alternatively loop the rope between the dog's two front legs, that slows them down a bit. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE