Roof Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
I was put off the roof tent idea by the weight issue so went for this:-
tTeX5bKT-O_KivW2rsP7iyYd7Kd3c7OuzZb54VYdIojfwHFxBjAO6kiv0eerzrAOIPKgk12Gd-8krL_UYGHekIwFw1vnQAZYiMZdTdq8JkNOh-SCHf-nmQNB1WHwxJSskp449qKp8SZkskj1mcT15MmLklhvRTxPK6eoffoLUw04V9VNGYVkMdJtmihj8dXyi2wjmc5xJgPkAjaysejpBNxqSsMjsAtP__-TTbq9Lh0-S_E42Nkre74xEHofvHaopCwjn24WjFIO9RYgydFrPFWjH2_Go0uFaZ1q5QPesWcb_wUVJ1EMNnOxkgDH9YQQy3CCBxIJNUhl20bXEXLBZV8kNiWcyH1dzv-Rn80t-3LONjTqWiPuPufxQ29A9xnme1CMzV8YTBGFLaqtK8_bjgkCCGoh318AIHrgYQOJK5wj0hnbYUI37W7PZx3Z83zq2LdPTxsMbx9jnSkNb6NqnN8c1ctZ4HH7K-TT0B616TXoA4LRAxCyxMV3XVEW8VUZxwhIsE_fgt-GfD4ZFgF_syinH-VwE1YWQVbdBwB7NubJrm9ok9PUGGmP3JrwtfzkuJvPHRHB2wwQAGVEpkCSJ5cwfH4fdOZlMKeS7aC4PLsXD34XfJbStDbsfptlj26PTN14x6NsB4i2wlKgVjjPIOYLJtBObWreRuuy8yvBz19e25sIF_DjZWmdGbEgPGk=w823-h617-no

Outhaus tent and awning. I reckon it'll do the job nicely. The tent it's self is a manageable weight for one person but doesn't quite fit in my Brownchurch roof rack but that can be overcome.
This is a test setup in the garden, just before lockdown so not been put to use yet sadly. I have had time to make some side walls "baker tent style" however.

May 18, 2020
Manchester
I just remember my dads landy in the early 70's with his 2a swb when I was a kid going on our hols towing our big heavy caravan with a home made roof rack made out of conduit ( spelling ) an out board motor, hors, fuel tank for the boat full of fuel 2 gals tank I think it was, fishing rods, wind breakers and then the Fibrecell dingy on top and once it was all loaded the landy stood taller than the caravan and we never had any issues at all so a roof rack with a roof tent on top shouldn't be that heavy surely.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The maximum roof weight (including roof rack) for a Defender 110 is only 75 or 80 kg - I reckon my roof tent was way over that. I do not believe the Series Landy's are any better, probably worse. There are no steel supports to the roof so the load bearing capability is severely limited and, probably more important, the centre of gravity and cornering are seriously compromised.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
205645_4698398411_404_n.jpg

61161_432683188411_4348192_n.jpg

I had a Brownchurch model on my 110, I Know the weight was well forward and it was an old model so fairly heavy but very rugged. Made the car wallow like a pig.
Used it all year around in the UK, down to -7 was warm enough, the canvas kept the wind out and kept it dark in the early sunrises really comfortable to sleep in. It did get a bit "interesting" in high winds.
It was really quick to pitch, probably only 5 mins from arrival to cracking a beer. which was nice. When I rebuilt the car I got rid of the rack and tent to try and keep the weight down, and also SWMBO didn't like climbing up and down the ladder in the night. Do I miss it? yes. Would I get another no....... well maybe, they are cool.

Louis

May 18, 2020
Manchester
The maximum roof weight (including roof rack) for a Defender 110 is only 75 or 80 kg - I reckon my roof tent was way over that. I do not believe the Series Landy's are any better, probably worse. There are no steel supports to the roof so the load bearing capability is severely limited and, probably more important, the centre of gravity and cornering are seriously compromised.
Hmmm mite depend on year then as the very early 90's before they became Defenders had the same roof as series the only difference was where the roof fitted over the windscreen, I did have an early 90 with the ribbed roof like a series has and later changed to a smooth roof which had the ribs inside the roof but other than that it looked the same, so maybe later roofs was stronger.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I just remember my dads landy in the early 70's with his 2a swb when I was a kid going on our hols towing our big heavy caravan with a home made roof rack made out of conduit ( spelling ) an out board motor, hors, fuel tank for the boat full of fuel 2 gals tank I think it was, fishing rods, wind breakers and then the Fibrecell dingy on top and once it was all loaded the landy stood taller than the caravan and we never had any issues at all so a roof rack with a roof tent on top shouldn't be that heavy surely.

Yep I've overloaded landrover too lol

They aren't TOO heavy...just heavy
Series on stock springs would probably handle it better than a coil sprung landy lol

Sanch_UK

Jan 25, 2024
Winchester
I'm a little late to the party but just to say...

I've travelled Europe and beyond with a roof tent on my Land Rover Defender for years, and I haven't noticed any difference in handling with it on or off. More recently I have put a hardshell roof tent from Tent & Trail on my Series 3 with no problems, it drives better with more weight on the springs.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Hi guys
First post so be gentle, Me and son are thinking of getting a roof tent for our classic Land rover we have recently restored mainly for me going beach metal detecting and camping and son and his wife to go camping and just wondered if anyone else on here uses a roof tent and can give advice on roof tents, obviously will need a roof rack to mount the roof tent on as well again will need advice on this as well please, the vehicle is a 1970 S2a swb (88") Land rover.

Graham

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Have yoou seen those army tents go on the back of a land rover? have a look at anchor supplies in nottingham. they look good. Cant see the point of a roof tent to be honest if there are no lions about x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE