Roof Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 18, 2020
Manchester
Hi guys
First post so be gentle, Me and son are thinking of getting a roof tent for our classic Land rover we have recently restored mainly for me going beach metal detecting and camping and son and his wife to go camping and just wondered if anyone else on here uses a roof tent and can give advice on roof tents, obviously will need a roof rack to mount the roof tent on as well again will need advice on this as well please, the vehicle is a 1970 S2a swb (88") Land rover.

Graham

Last edited:
Reactions: SaraR

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello and welcome to the forum Graham :)

I'm afraid I'm not much help for your question but I'd love to see some pictures of your Landie. You can't beat a nicely restored vehicle :D

Reactions: CrispyDuck

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, I may be biased, but don't :)

We used roof tents on the 110s in Namibia - they were great. Ten minutes to pop up and get into bed, no problem. We had cloudless nights every night, cooked on open fires, and had no requirement for shelter.

Back in the UK we decided to get a roof tent for our trekking - we have been confined to the UK for a few years because the missus' mother was very ill (has died since but we're still continuing our UK coast trek). Went to the Landy show in Petersfield, looked at all available and decided on a Armadillo. Because it's the UK we went for the full covered awning area that goes under the overhanging tent - otherwise where else will you sit and cook?

Any way - long story short, we used it once and never again - lost about £400 in the whole experience (and I think that was lucky).

1) they are very, very heavy - getting it on and off the vehicle is a four-man job
2) the first night we used it we were hit by rain, sleet, wind and fog (in May) - so the whole thing had to go up awning and all. That was not easy, all the canvas and zips took about an hour to get it right.
3) putting it away took just as long with the attached 'room'

It was such a chore, we returned home, got my son over to help take it off and loaded the Oz tent - the best bit of kit we've ever owned (other than the Landys)

Roof tents are great for countries where you can predict the weather and don't have to put up all the added awnings; they have few if any advantages IMHO over a good trekking tent if you need shelter from the elements.

Reactions: SaraR

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
We always fancied one, but after seeing one up on the Isle of Mull in sustained 35mph winds, i really didn't fancy spending my nights feeling sea sick. It was ontop of a lovely 110, but was really swaying. Also, getting up for the call of nature at 3am after 1 too many drams would see both my legs in plaster, lol!

May 18, 2020
Manchester
Hello and welcome to the forum Graham :)

I'm afraid I'm not much help for your question but I'd love to see some pictures of your Landie. You can't beat a nicely restored vehicle :D

Would love to as I've loads but as I'm quite new to the forum I'm not sure if and when I can but if and when I can I will :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi guys
First post so be gentle, Me and son are thinking of getting a roof tent for our classic Land rover we have recently restored mainly for me going beach metal detecting and camping and son and his wife to go camping and just wondered if anyone else on here uses a roof tent and can give advice on roof tents, obviously will need a roof rack to mount the roof tent on as well again will need advice on this as well please, the vehicle is a 1970 S2a swb (88") Land rover.

Graham

One thing I forgot to point out - the other great disadvantage of a roof tent, especially if you have to set up the awning because of the weather, is that once it's up your stuck - no nipping down to the pub or going to the shops or going down to the beach for the day without packing it all up.

A couple of photos - 1st the rooftent setup we sold not long after we bought it:

roof tent - IMG_0332.jpg

A couple of the trekking Oztent - fully set up and the second without the extension living space - it's worth pointing out that the Oztent (the main part) goes up in about 30 seconds so if it's raining you can be in the dry in no time:

Oztent 1 - IMG_2218.jpg

Oztent 2 - IMG_2674.jpg

Reactions: Winnet

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Agree with everyone else. Rooftents look great and are dead posh but an oztent kills them imo.
Or a caranex if they still make em.
There was one roof tent that looked ok to me. Magioliner or something like that. It was like a Thule roof box that you just popped up and down.

Full roof tent with brownchurch roof rack is not far off full payload lol
Huge heavy expensive pita's

As for roof racks a brownchurch would be the period one but theres lots of lighter lower profile efforts these days

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I can see how the roof tents are very useful in dry places with Wildlife. :)

And obviously very appealing to your inner child. :D

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As for roof racks a brownchurch would be the period one but theres lots of lighter lower profile efforts these days

The roof rack on my 110 in the photo is the lowest profile one I could find - Cargo Bear - brilliant bits of kit - but I wouldn't dream of putting one on my Series; it just wouldn't look right :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The roof rack on my 110 in the photo is the lowest profile one I could find - Cargo Bear - brilliant bits of kit - but I wouldn't dream of putting one on my Series; it just wouldn't look right :)

I didn't even notice a roof rack till you pointed it out, that is low profile!
If you could them in calvanised finish some of the newer ones might look ok on a series

May 18, 2020
Manchester

I don't know I keep seeing pic's of series landy's with rooftents fitted and they don't look much different than a Defender fitted with one and not all but most UK sites give you your own pitch so I don't see a problem packing up for the day and returning later and with sites that allow you to pitch anywhere I could always put something in place to hold the pitch if I have a good spot but most days I wouldn't be moving anyway :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I don't know I keep seeing pic's of series landy's with rooftents fitted and they don't look much different than a Defender fitted with one and not all but most UK sites give you your own pitch so I don't see a problem packing up for the day and returning later and with sites that allow you to pitch anywhere I could always put something in place to hold the pitch if I have a good spot but most days I wouldn't be moving anyway :)

No, sorry, I meant I didn't think the Cargo Bear roof rack would look 'in keeping' with my series.

However, on the point of packing up, it really does take a long time to pack all that awning away. I really cannot recommend them at all. Having said all that I don't know if I would have taken any notice of someone telling me that before I bought mine either - maybe it's something you need to experience to realize the shortcomings.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I was thinking the same about wildlife.
You don't have lions and leopards to contend with.
You don't have various bear species and cougars to contend with.

A tent with a floor and rain-fly, on the ground, will be very cost effective.

May 18, 2020
Manchester
No, sorry, I meant I didn't think the Cargo Bear roof rack would look 'in keeping' with my series.

However, on the point of packing up, it really does take a long time to pack all that awning away. I really cannot recommend them at all. Having said all that I don't know if I would have taken any notice of someone telling me that before I bought mine either - maybe it's something you need to experience to realize the shortcomings.
Yeah I no :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE