Rollypoly dump pouch alternatives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I like my mini Maxpedition Rollypoly dump pouch and it gets used a lot for foraging, beachcombing and as a water bottle carrier but every now and then I need something with more space. When I'm picking stuff I like to have both hands free to be able to pick more easily so a belt pouch works well for me but when it comes to apple season I need a much bigger pouch. The larger size pouches look quite bulky when rolled up though due to the thickness of the material. It's good tough stuff but probably overkill for what I use it for. Are there any thinner alternatives out there? Maybe ripstop or something like that. Nothing too large or my belt might not hold it up!

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I use mesh bags from the poundshop, I keep at least one i every pack I have. They're multipurpose as they can be used for foraging, gear storage, hanging stuff off my ridgeline, could also be used as a fishing net if I'm really stuck. They take up very little space.

I've also used my midge headnet for the same purpose.

Reactions: Chomp and KenThis

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Mines the finest quality orange sainsbury carrier bag. It's small and light when folded. Bright orange if I need a signal colour. Good to sit on, on damp ground. Holds loads of foraged goods. One or both handles can slide on my belt.
It's not as nice looking as your rollypoly pouch though. :)

Reactions: Bishop

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
There are a number of companies doing lighter alternatives to the maxped style dump pouches.
Viper do their "covert dump bag" which is a design I've seen from a few other companies too (just can't remember who)
Blue force gear have thier "ten speed ultralight dump pouch" and "belt mounted dump pouch" both of which look like they pack down very small.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Mines the finest quality orange sainsbury carrier bag. It's small and light when folded. Bright orange if I need a signal colour. Good to sit on, on damp ground. Holds loads of foraged goods. One or both handles can slide on my belt.

Now you're just rubbing it in :( Do you English still get carrier bags for free? They're a rare beast around here now and I haven't bought a plastic bag in years now. I've still got one orange Sainsburies bag hoarded in my rucksack though for old times sake just in case I forget how useful they used to be.

The Ten Speed bag looks perfect. £40 though :(

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Now you're just rubbing it in :( Do you English still get carrier bags for free? They're a rare beast around here now and I haven't bought a plastic bag in years now. I've still got one orange Sainsburies bag hoarded in my rucksack though for old times sake just in case I forget how useful they used to be.

The Ten Speed bag looks perfect. £40 though :(

Hah! No we have to buy them too. This is one of their thicker reusable ones. For proper food shopping we've got a bunch of those massive Aldi bags which are tough as old boots. :)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere

I have to say that the first of those is really handy, takes up no more space than a handkerchief and is ready to be pressed into service when your normal carry has no room left for whatever. You can of course find even more compact carrier bags that can be attached to a keychain at poundland.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales

Great minds... I mentioned to my wife that I needed a larger bag for picking stuff and she went off laughing and came back with this.

P1140965.jpg

I know a challenge when I see one so I channeled my inner squirrel and came home with 1.5kgs of hazels ;) All ready for apple crumble with toasted hazelnut topping now.

P1140966.jpg

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Hi
follow this link to http://www.groundgear.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=65&product_id=59
Groundgear Peto from this parish it is very similar to a dump pouch probably not exactly you are looking for but I have one or two of his bags and they are fantastic,

that's rather smart - I'd like to see how it carries as a shoulder bag

there are plenty of leather/canvas dump pouches on etsy

I think the first time I saw one was a review of the Badger claw leather model

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Hi
follow this link to http://www.groundgear.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=65&product_id=59
Groundgear Peto from this parish it is very similar to a dump pouch probably not exactly you are looking for but I have one or two of his bags and they are fantastic,

I love that. The idea of a larger dump pouch that you can belt carry until needed then use a shoulder strap to carry it when it's full and heavy is great. Shame you have to take your belt off to release it but I imagine a clip or 2 would sort that out. It's way out of my budget though. :eek: I'll have to get saving...

Reactions: Riven

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I have a cotton reusable shopping bag (I got as part of a present filled with shaving supplies) with a moustache on it. I like it being cotton because it's washable and breathable, has large handles that could go over your shoulder, and can in a pinch be used for other things. Only thing is it's not belt carryable but It just sits in a coat or bag pocket. Works very well when Urban foraging and much easier to repair than those supermarket jobbies!

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Ever tried a sausage bag? you just make them from the leg of a pair of jeans, sew up one end, sew on some rope, make a draw string mouth, go foraging!

Reactions: JFW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE