Rogue RB-5s

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

H2497

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2008
London / Herefordshire
Hi, Thought I would leave some feedback on a pair of boots. These are very much like Courteney boots sold in the UK by Westley Richards and worn by every professional hunter I've met in SA and Zim. They cost a lot in the UK, but recently I saw these similar boots sold on the RM website, still made in SA.

These things are very comfy after a brief break in period. They appear to be the equal of the Courteney boots and have some features, like ball bearings held in the lace eyelets, that I prefer.

I have size 12 feet, but had to drop to an 11 in these. They do seem very well made and have a nice flat and sticky sole.

Add a set of leather sock gaiters and outrageously short shorts and you would be happy to trot off and fight a bush war in them!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Been wearing RB6's for the last 7years, brilliant comfy boots straight out the box, I have recently removed the sewn in gaiters as I very rarely had them up, also not long gait a pair of rb2's, stuningly comfy boot and so quiet, the laces and the insole are pap, but I always prefer to use issued insoles any way.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have been wearing Rb2's anxd 5's for a good few years now I think they are great, I team them with Rogue canvas gaiters.
I know they sell lots of Rogue kit at Jo'berg airport but can't remember if I saw any boots there.The factory shop is at Hazyview if your passing.
Louis

These are mine, the Rogue factory was not far from where I lived, these boots are brilliant.
VELLIES001.jpg

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
I have a pair of Rogue Vellies - thick smooth sole. Comfy but come up way big. I'm a UK 8.5 and my Vellies are size 7, which I can wear without socks.
I prefer my Courteneys which were great in flat, dryish bushy country esp in the heat - so great for African bush. But zero ankle or heel stability so rubbish for proper hill country. As ever with boots, horses for courses.
The Rogues, esp the shorter ones/desert boots would be good hot weather 'travel boots' for people not wanting to go down the synthetic Merrell style adventure type synthetic shoes.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Wow, they look like the kind of hiking boots we all used to have when I was in the Cubs and then the Scouts. I've been looking (on and off) for something similar for ages.

What's this about "ball bearings held in the lace eyelets"? Can you explain or show a photo of that?

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Wow, they look like the kind of hiking boots we all used to have when I was in the Cubs and then the Scouts. I've been looking (on and off) for something similar for ages.

What's this about "ball bearings held in the lace eyelets"? Can you explain or show a photo of that?

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIxMTIzLTAwMTAxLmpwZw.jpg

There you go dude, the lace passes over a freely moving ball bearing, seems to work nicely and keep the laces in good condition.

Cheers
Louis

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
There you go dude, the lace passes over a freely moving ball bearing, seems to work nicely and keep the laces in good condition.

Ah, thanks, I understand now.

I would think that the lace would risk, under tension, getting pinched between the ball and the cheeks... I've seen another system on horse tack, where the cord (usually round braid used as a rein) runs over a roller that has a smaller diameter in its centre compared to where the roller touches the cheeks. This ensures that the cord is always pulled towards the centre of the roller, and cannot rub against the cheeks.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Wow, that would have to be some tension! i have never found a problem with it so far, maybe i just dont do my boots up that tight.

H2497

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2008
London / Herefordshire
I've had no such trouble with the eyelets on my RB5's and I crank them up reasonably tight. I'm going to have to get a set of the RB2's now to slop about and take over from some deck shoes!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE