Roe deer behavior?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
whats with roe deer at this time of year? in the past couple of days i've seen 2 'herds' of roe deer. I usually see them either solitary or in pairs. I saw a group of 7 yesterday and another group of 3 today.Anyone with any knowledge of these group gatherings?There seems to be lots of deer around lately.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
During winter Roe normally stick together and form mixed sex herds.
I was out at the weekend as it was the end of the doe season and we saw 9 Roe in one field :shock:

The bucks antlers are still in velvet but soon the velvet will dry and fall off revealing the light coloured antler. The brown colour comes from the deer fraying (either trying to remove the taters of velevt or teritory marking) and varies according to vegitation and soil type of the region.

In another month or two the herd will split, the bucks become teritorial and reject other bucks in the area whilst trying to woo all the does around - nothing changes :roll:

The Bucks come into season in April - these date are for England and Wales shooting seasons, Scotland varies a little.

Hope this helps

Mark

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I was out stalking on Thursday and saw 14 roe in two areas, then thankfully, a Buck.....:D

He sirloins were delicious and the head is going to make a stunning hat rack next week.

The doe cull starts again soon, hoping to get on it earlier this year.They are starting to herd up again for the winter.

Elen Sentier

I was out stalking on Thursday and saw 14 roe in two areas, then thankfully, a Buck.....:D

He sirloins were delicious and the head is going to make a stunning hat rack next week.

The doe cull starts again soon, hoping to get on it earlier this year.They are starting to herd up again for the winter.

Yummmm! As I can't shoot do you know where can I buy/get roe meat?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
You often see people selling it at farmers markets. Hopefully I'll go on my first ever stalk this winter to get a nice doe for the freezer.

Elen Sentier

Are there any game dealers near you? Can you get it from the butchers?

Not seen roe. Can get fallow fairly easily and my local woodsman gets some fairly often, he doesn't see roe much either. Can get red deer, especially when I go down to Exmoor. Have had roe in Scotland but not yet found near me ... I'm near Hereford so if people know somewhere I've missed be glad of a heads-up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE