Robin Wood: Questions about some things in your videos

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Robin,

A while back I was watching some of your carving videos (superb!) and I was struck by the stump you used as a working surface. It had three -- maybe four -- legs and they appeared tapered and in set in the bottom of the stump.

Do you have more detailed photos of it? I'd love to see them because I've got a couple of stumps that are nearly done seasoning and I'd like to make one like it and would love to see more details of it.

Also, in the video where you use your manual lathe to make a bowl vs. the automatic lathe (love that video, well done!) I'd also love to see more details and/or plans for the manual lathe you have. I'm thinking of a spring project, you see...

I'm sure others on the forum would like to see these bits in more detail too.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Have you tried the Green wood pattern book ISBN 0713489146

No, I've never seen it, but I just checked at Amazon (out of stock) and it looks fantastic. I wonder if they have the lathe design... hmmm... I'll track this book down for sure.

Thanks for the tip!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Robin,

A while back I was watching some of your carving videos (superb!) and I was struck by the stump you used as a working surface. It had three -- maybe four -- legs and they appeared tapered and in set in the bottom of the stump.

Do you have more detailed photos of it? I'd love to see them because I've got a couple of stumps that are nearly done seasoning and I'd like to make one like it and would love to see more details of it.

Also, in the video where you use your manual lathe to make a bowl vs. the automatic lathe (love that video, well done!) I'd also love to see more details and/or plans for the manual lathe you have. I'm thinking of a spring project, you see...

I'm sure others on the forum would like to see these bits in more detail too.

Glad you enjoyed the vids,

I try to answer specific woodworking enquiries on the greenwoodworkers forum and there is quite a bit of info there on these topics.

Here is a link to a thread about the lathes I build. http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=437

I don't publish specific plans with dimensions because I feel that ends up with everyone's lathes being the same I like folk to use the materials they have available.

I don't think Ray's book does lathe plans but Mike Abbotts Green woodwork does.

The chopping block legs are fitted with a tapered dovetail, it is a common joint in Eastern Europe but not used here. Good if you have a saw but not a big augur for making the round mortice and tenons that were more common in UK.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The chopping block legs are fitted with a tapered dovetail, it is a common joint in Eastern Europe but not used here. Good if you have a saw but not a big augur for making the round mortice and tenons that were more common in UK.
It also looks great and doubles up as a coffee table when we're not carving. I can't find a very good picture - at the moment I'm abroad so can't take a snap so these will have to do. You can see it by my foot in this one:
shavings.jpg

and the top of it in this one:
IMG_0464.jpg

Nicola

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Here is a link to a thread about the lathes I build. http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=437

I don't publish specific plans with dimensions because I feel that ends up with everyone's lathes being the same I like folk to use the materials they have available.

I don't think Ray's book does lathe plans but Mike Abbotts Green woodwork does.

Robin, that's a great help and I assure you that it will be made of local materials -- I'm in San Francisco, so I'll likely use tanoak for most of it.

I think I've got my spring project! Woo hoo!

Thanks loads.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
It also looks great and doubles up as a coffee table when we're not carving. I can't find a very good picture - at the moment I'm abroad so can't take a snap so these will have to do. You can see it by my foot in this one

Nicola,

Thanks a million for the pictures. Especially the one of the top -- it showed a detail I couldn't see in the videos: namely, that the leg joints come all the way through to the top.

Very handy to see the detail....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE