road kill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
Hi everyone i was off to the woods this morning to try out a new lid i had just made for my austrian cup i made it out off a piece of brass that was a pull sign for a door,anyway back to the story , i was coming out of the estate when i saw a pigion that had just been run over,i stopped the car and picked it up just as an old boy walking his dog came by he shook his head and said what a shame and how people dont seem to care anymore .i aggreed with him and started back to the car and put the bird behind my seat i looked back at him and he was open mouthed wide eyed and pussled,i said waste not want not and off i went in the woods i took off the breasts and cooked them up loveley fried with beech nut oil from a crop last year.

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
Beech nut oil ? Sounds homemade by your good self ? Also sounds like it could be rather tasty ?!
Any chance of a simple post on how to make it please ? (if it's simple ofcourse !)

As regards roadkill, I periodicaly get calls from friends and acquaintances about muntjack they've picked up at the roadside (I'm a butcher).

If it sounds worthwhile damage/freshness wise I cut off the usable bits for them. As you say , waste not want not, and I have got some nice bottles of wine and a couple of single malts as thanks .

Bless thier lack of road sense !!

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
Hi wolfcub the beech nut oil is made by shelling the nuts and then put them into a can and bash to a pulp and then the oil is released the more you pulp the more oil you get ,then i put a sock over the can and poar out the oil although you dont get alot for your nuts its worth the effort ..regards rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE