RN deck smock rain test vid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Howdy Chaps!

Rained for a few hours the other day, so off I went with the dogs for a play in my Royal Navy wind proof deck smock, I was given this a few years ago, and use it a lot, did a pics and details post a while back which I shall dig out and link here, it has the nsn and other stuff, but here is the vids for now dudes!

[video=youtube;6cbbwTZGFLo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cbbwTZGFLo[/video]

[video=youtube;9aIyRWPTXkI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aIyRWPTXkI&feature=mf u_in_order&list=UL[/video]

[video=youtube;-owkXPDAMCw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-owkXPDAMCw&feature=BFa&list=UL 9aIyRWPTXkI&lf=mfu_in_order[/video]

Yes I have done the washing up!

I will be altering the cuff by removing the elastic and sewing some velcro instead,

Have fun!

Southey,

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
This was in responce to a question on another thread

"Hello Erik1, I have one, wore it all through winter, and still wearing it now we're into the warmer weather, it is heavier than a single layer Ventile of equal size, but tbh i don't notice the weight when on, as for the cotton lining i don't tend to heat up when wearing it while out on the hills, unless i'm doing some strenuous work like chopping, or running but no probs with walking even with a pack on. over the winter i had a wool shirt underneath and was plenty warm and it's just a teeshirt. I reallly enjoy mine.i'll chuck a couple of piccies up too, if you want to see anything specific let me know.

DSCF2513.jpg

the hood is very snug, and has a full face huff which rolls away.
DSCF2514.jpg

the main body has extra popperd flaps to route headset cables through.
DSCF2516.jpg

I would like to add a small flap over the cord pocket as it fills with water in heavy down pours.
DSCF2517.jpg

here you can see the face shield, for sideways rain.
DSCF2518.jpg

the lining is sewn into the seems,
DSCF2520.jpg

DSCF2523.jpg

hope this helps.

Southey."

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Not sure matey? but i can ask a stores goon in a week or so when i go visiting, these were issued for sea born deck work the raf tend to favour crisp packet water proofs:p

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I thought that the extreme cold weather flying kit was ventile, but that was a short jacket with sallopettes and in green. i would say that the one pictured was an RN one Does it say anything on your label Dave?

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
Flight deck kit indeed, matching trousers also available. Being cottony material they don't melt on to you in the event of a fire (should some wafu cock up a deck landing !)

Also worn by clearance divers and submarine crew when they can filch them.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I seem to remember the chockheads trying out Barbour dressing on them. They were better than the standard issue "keep you wet Foulies" we were issued but beaten hands down by the Goretex ones we eventually got.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Personally id say its well worth the money asked for on ebay, especially when brand new in bag ones come up, its solid and as such isn't light weight but it isn't so heavy as to make it uncomfortable(wifely has on occasion worn it till we found her own Venti,,,,tight cotton weave jacket), its a strange one though unlike trudging on despite any weather and not feeling it, with these as with any open weave clothing you will get wet when it starts to rain, BUT you then dry out as the fibres swell, the water damp stops and you dont feel the cold wet, like i said in the previous post, all through winter i wore this over a swanndri shirt, never felt cold during the day, and just whopped my mosigul over the shirt with this back on top once stopped for the night,m this 2008\09 winter in Kinloss out walking\skiing to Avimoor along the Dava way, and the same trip 2009\10 lots of local trips between too, very good kit IMO:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE