Rm?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Because I believe that a lot of members on this site are as good as if not better than RM, and they have no hesitation in sharing their vast knowledge to us less informed mortals. I was wondering if fame or some other reason would stop someone with RM's knowledge sharing what he knew

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I guess he would send a bill...

Remember he is a "professional" bushcraft person, a lot of us here are not...Why should he give away "his" knowledge when he can make a fortune by putting it on TV, DVD and in books...

There are a lot of people here who are as knowledgable as RM, and who could probably make money if they produced a book...Who knows who is reading all the posts and then using what ever is posted here for financial gain by running a course on Bushcraft ...and we give all our knowledge for free...because we think it is the best way to "Spread the Knowledge".

Just my thoughts...

LS

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Why wouldn't he??.......after all everyones gotta start somewhere......just cos' ye've made a couple o' vid's...an' got some good ''air play'' on the tv........don't make ye apart from the masses....bet he reads this site loads....(when he can).......we're all learnin' after all!l......look at rich59's ''L-bow drill''....until I'd read that, on this site, I didn't know it existed (didn't know it worked so well either!!)......there's always s'thing t' be learned.......best t' be informed......no matter who ye be.....says I.. :)

Dont get me wrong I have great respect for anyone and everyone who even attempts a bit of bushcraft. I think the way that everyone shares info on this site is abseloutly brilliant. I have great respact for RM as well I was just wondering if he has commented or posted as I would love to read what he said (hoping that it would give the respect that the site and it's patrons deserved). :)

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I think that there could be a large number of 'professional' bushcraft folk posting or lurking here. It is the best place I can think of to check the 'pulse' of the UK bushcraft community and see what is going on, Market Research is an important business tool.

It also means that the instructors can learn about the cool new stuff folks here come up with. Thanks for sharing everybody. :You_Rock_

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
In the books and TV programs of his that I've seen, he shows a really broad array of skills and an extensive knowledge that few people out there can match. How much of his life has he spent in the great outdoors learning bushcraft, and going on expeditions? I get the impression that it's quite a lot. Why do you think he got offered a TV series in the first place? You all know very well that if he came on here he'd get more questions than he could answer, and if he wants to learn any more skills he doesn't need to ask people online; he can just call experts and arrange to meet them.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I believe he does lurk here, and with good reason. There is a lot of information, talent and skill shown by many people here, and Ray hasn't invented bushcraft. He is basically pulling it all together from all over the world, and then showing pertinent points on his programmes. He is basically showing us what he has been shown by others either in person or by reading books on the subject.

Also, I seem to remember somebody mentioning pine tar soap and it was on his website a few weeks later!! He also knicked another idea from the same person aswell but I cannot remember what it was.

He lurks I tell you, and no I am not he, I'm not tubby enough!!

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Presently, there probably just isn't room for more than one bushcraft celeberity. There is always a little luck and a lot inclination involved in becoming a celeberity. Many people don't even want to be famous. Certainly most of the truely anti-social wilderness-geeks on this board. :lmao:

Torjus Gaaren

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
Theres is a lot of bitchin to be done when it comes to Ray it seems - I know without his input on his various programs I would not have got into bushcraft and I'm sure this applies to many other members on here too. He has been an excellent spokesman for bushcraft and has dedicated his life to learning and teaching others. Yes he's expensive but only because he only deals in quality goods and courses.

He talks about pine tar soap in his books published long ago and I suppose he decided to sell it.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not too sure if the bitching was directed at me, it was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek but you know what they say about the written word....

I am in fact a big fan of RM, I recently got hold of a copy of his world of survival series of which I'd seen two episodes before. I am now looking at getting hold of his tracks series, he is definitely good entertainment and I envy people who get away for a course with him.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Mears will never be a member here.

He will never promote another commercial (or non commercial to that matter) bushcraft entity as it would damage his company profile.

And, if he did come here half of the members here would flame him for one reason or other (although the other half of the members would put him out with all the drooling) and Mears steers well away from controversy.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've a quick question.
is Ray Mears Country Tracks the same program as
Ray Mears Tracks

( didn't think is was worth a new thread in what should be a yes or no question)

are you a flamer or a drooler adi ?

Me personally Im neither. Let me explain I think what RM has done for bushcraft is one of the amazing things anyone can do for something they love and that is, share it with others. But I certainly would'nt drool over him as as much respect I have for the man I am pretty sure there is people on this site that have as much experience and passion as anyone else. they might not have a tv show but what they do have is this website and they share as much if not more info than most people and they do it for passion not money(although I have no problem with some one earning from their skill set). :notworthy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE