River Cottage Handbook No.5

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I picked up a copy of the River Cottage Handbook No.5 Edible Seashore by John Wright ISBN 978 0 74759531 1; today price £14.99 waterstone's are knocking £4.00 of at the moment . I just had a quick look through it and it looks to be a good read with a lot of information on what,when and how to cook as well as how to forage for it on the seashore.
It covers flowering plants,seaweeds,mollusc sand crustaceans each item has sub headings
of habitat ,distribution ,season and conservation status and then a section on how to eat it.In the back of the book there is a recipe section all the photos in book are in colour.
Another one in the series that looks interesting is the River Cottage Mushroom Handbook by the same author and the same lay out .
Neil

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I picked this one up a few days ago aswell, I've got a few days camping on the coast this weekend so should come in handy.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I bought this last night from Amazon it was the cheapest place I found.
I'd been thinkng of buying it for a while as I spend a lot of time on the Beach.
I thought it would have been in Paperback rather that Hardback though ??

MickT

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I really enjoyed the author's style - some dry humour scattered all through the book.

He's the same guy that did the River Cottage fungi book. Expert forager who's frequently on the River Cottage programmes - wish I could afford to go on one of his courses!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Mine arrived the other day. Looks to be extremely well-researched. I'm not entirely certain about the layout but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I do like the prose that comes with it, punctuated by some wonderfully dry humour. The illustrations are great and it is nicely bound. This will certainly be in my pack when the seaside beckons. :D

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Beat me to it.

I met John Wright down at the Dorset seafood festival last weekend in Weymouth, had a short chat, and got his book (signed). It really is worth adding to your library. He's quite an amusing chap and very nice in person too.
He did a foraging cooking demo on the harbourside which was very enjoyable (in the rain)..............well I am 'falling rain' so it shouldn't have bothered me :confused:
Very good, funny, interesting, and informative book. Nice one Mr Wright :You_Rock_
Should turn out to be a classic so get yours now.

Oh, and I know I've mentiond this book before but if you like your seafood get this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Atlan...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247584986&sr=1-1
No foragers guide, but some wonderful historical references, very well written, some outlandish recipes and very, very informative. I reckon this will also be a classic so get it before it goes out of print. It covers fish, crustaceans and shellfish and pretty much anything you well ever come across around our coast (not plants) but a little bit on seaweeds too. Excellent book!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE