Ringbolt Hitching Key Ring - Tutorial added

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
Ringbolt Hitching Key Ring
My nephew wanted a large key ring. He liked this.
I started with 6' of 550 paracord. I left 6" tag end of cord at the beginning and began single strand ringbolt hitching around a 1 1/2" OD steel ring. Tied the 2 ends using a diamond knot relative. Had about 4" of cord left over .
SyKFZP2.jpg

Last edited:

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Whenever I give a knotting and splicing demo, it is nearly always this coxcombing that folk seem to take to, more than anything else, except, perhaps, needle hitching, usually done around a defunct,candlestyle lightbulb.
For the ring hitching, I personally use 4mm tarred nylon braid, which is a bit less expensive than paracord, but I think it gives better definition. I like it when the folk suddenly "get" the rhythm of the sequence and then, zoosh, off they go.
I refer to the finished piece as a, "Bett Lynch", earring and usually leave the long-ish tail, as a necklace.
Ceeg

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Oh, nice one! it has never dawned on me to finish the tails off in such a way. When I don't make the long neck halter I inevitably hide the join with an applied TH.....great tip. Thanks.
Ceeg

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
nice work mate. do you have an how to

Oh, nice one! it has never dawned on me to finish the tails off in such a way. When I don't make the long neck halter I inevitably hide the join with an applied TH.....great tip. Thanks.
Ceeg

With standing end on left of ring bring Working End through ring and make half hitch.
JauNxLz.jpg

Bring WE through ring and from left to right through crossing point and pull snug
sP5bRDx.jpg

yuWnbaB.jpg

Bring WE through ring and repeat above steps
Lvti8rZ.jpg

When there is roon for only one more hitch bring WE through the ring and UP through the loop holding the Standing End
3yrVUnV.jpg

Next bring WE through the crossing point and DOWN through the loop
UdHIhuD.jpg

Pull the standing End down through the loop and the hitching is complete. The ends may be glued or held in place with a contrasting color Turks Head knot
51P605n.jpg

OR
Turks Head tied with two ends
Make a clockwise loop with left end in front of ring and a counter-clockwise loop with the right end through the loop
6JtEt6Q.jpg

Bring each end over the strand and through the corresponding loops on top
efHsely.jpg

Bring each end down across one strand and through the loop on the bottom
KIpTXOc.jpg

The Turks Head tied with two ends is complete. You can tighten it up and hide the ends or double it by bring each end parallel to the strand just below it
FRlcgUl.jpg

Last edited:

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
As I mentioned the finishing knot can be doubled (or even tripled) by following parallel to the indicated strand. Cut the ends close to the knot and push them under the knot to hide them.

cvkXS1A.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE