Right to Roam

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

David Morgan

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2004
Buckinghamshire
Hi guys. I've been a regular over on British Blades for a while, but this is my first Bushcraft post. I've heard that the new 'right to roam' legislation is coming into effect soon, as was wondering where and when this applies, and if it will affect bushcrafting oppertunities, with legitimate access to areas off the beaten track. Any information would be welcome,

Cheers,

David.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
as far as bushcrafting goes, i dunno but i guess things like firelighting and pitching tents will remain at the landowners discretion
Yep..... Schedule 2 restrictions in the CRoW act lists alot of restrictions including
No camping
No hunting, trapping,
No lighting OR TENDING fires (so i guess woodburning stoves are out)

A more comprehensive list can be found here
http://www.ramblers.org.uk/freedom/what.html

Ed

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
It looks like it'll give people the right to walk on a couple more bits of land while taking away their common law right to walk on other bits gained through years of doing it. It doesn't grant any other rights at all and so won't have much effect on bushcraft except that it's possible some people won't realise this and go trying out the stuff they see on BBC2 where they havn't got permission (not people who contribute to BCUK) and we'll all get the blame.

We've all got to guard against that or it'll get harder to find landowners who will let us camp unobtrusively in a wood for a few days and cook a bit of wild food on an open fire.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
AFAIK it doen't apply in my part of the world anyway.

I'm quite lucky in that I have a piece of land to use when I want. Unfortunately due to the nature of the "arrangement" (It belongs to the family of a friend) I can only use it alone, or with the friend in question.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE