Rhododendron

Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
The reason I was asking was that I'll be in my uncle's wood in Dorset for a few days in the summer.
It's been taken over by rhododendrons for a long time, and he really hates them.
So what I thought I could do (with the help of my friends) is make something nice for him out of the thing he hates so much.

Fred

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
You can make ENORMOUS spoons out of it :D

This one holds approx 2-3 tablespoons (30-45ml) and is a greedy git's sized soup spoon.

2010-02-2216-21-31202.jpg

2010-02-2216-21-35892.jpg

2010-02-2216-21-04470.jpg

The bent knife is made from an old steak knife and the phone in the background is an HTC Touch (Elf) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Touch

Food safe? No idea... check with Kew before you use Rhody for food - I've been too lazy to check so far, but then I enjoy carving more than soup!

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
heres a spoon i just knocked together from a bit of rhody from a 6" dia. log that has been seasoned for a few years.

DSC00253.jpg

rhodyspoonfront.jpg

rhodyspoonback.jpg

the bad quality doesnt do the beautiful grain any justice, neither do my rushed spoon carving skills though lol. it really is a very nice wood to work with, very consistent and smooth with a very rewarding finish on your piece.
havent tried working with it green yet but i'll give that a shot soon, all my rhody is from a massive heap of it i found in the woods from when they had been doing some clearing.

ATB
TJ

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Interestingly, this subject was on TV the other day. They are trying to remove the hundreds of acres of Rhodies in Snowdonia. They kill them by drilling a couple of small holes low in the stem and then just putting a few drops of neat Roundup into the hole.

I noticed Mull has the same problem when I was there last summer.

Cheers,

Broch

Apr 27, 2009
Lincs
I was concerned about Rhoddie burning so enquired about it's toxicity* with the Horticultural society & Kew & the Rhododendron society i have their reports on computor somewhere, it is as safe to burn as any other wood/leaves (they all give off toxins) when handling it can cause exma* the plants they all said DO NOT burn was AZALEA & LAURAL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE