Review Silky Bigboy saw

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Review.

I recently had the opertunity to have a try of one of these and i was instantly surprised by the high performance.
Silky saws are arbourtry saws made in Japan. They operate on the pull strok and therefore can be thiner steel as the pull keeps the tension rather than needing to be stiff to push. Designed for prunning and wood working application the silky range lends itself weel to the bushcrafter being able to cut cleanly green and dry woods. The bigboy is the largest folding saw in the range and has the following carateristics:

blade is 14" long with 9 teeth per inch
Has 2 positions for cutting
is 16" when folded
Constructed from alloy with overmolded rubber handle and strong spring lock
The blade tension can be adjusted
its weights under 1 lb at 400 grams

First impressions: Very well made and very light. The lock is much more secure thanim used to seeign on a folding saw and positively clicks into each position. The handle is comfortabel to grip.

In use: oh so so smooth. Little effort is needed to use the saw with the teeth and thin blade gluiding effortlessly. Get the cut started was easy and the teeth bit is straight away in both green adn dry wood exactly where you wanted it too. The ease of use and effective teeth made cuttign very quick. I cut though a 32CM hard log in just over 3 minutes without needing to stop at all. The hadnle position change helps when cuttign bigger logs. It cut through a 4" plum tree trunk in what seemed only about 6 pulls i was really amazed. The cuts in greenwood are quicker and the teeth didnt become 'full' once.

This is one kit additon that i'm really happy about and at the cost of £35 the veritilty they give becouse of the performance and lightness are worth double IMO. You really have to try one of these to see how good they are.

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Good review on a nice piece of gear!
happy0034.gif

The saw reminds me of a larger version of my Gerber Gator, Exchange-A-Blade folding saw, particularly the blade fitting and locking mechanism and overmolded handle grip.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good review Will, thanks for taking the time fella.

Now I'm stuck between the Big Boy or the Duluth Bob Dustrude :dunno:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm pretty sure that those Silkys get used by arborists when they don't want or need a chainsaw up the tree.

We don't tend to use the folders, usually it's the rigid set-ups, like the Gomtaro. They are very good saws indeed. Usually use them when working alone in trees (naughty!) as much less chance of losing a limb (one of your own, that is).

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
I'm pretty sure that those Silkys get used by arborists when they don't want or need a chainsaw up the tree.

i agree with Mikey P, when i was a student i used a laplander saw up a tree and it just wasn't practicle. i too use them in 'dodgy' situations like while doing the very top when sometimes things just don't feel safe:eek: silkys don't replace chainsaws, more work hand in hand.

you cant go wrong with silkys, well untill you need new blades, a new blade for my saw will cost £25 :eek: lol

pete

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Okay, the Silky Katanaboy arrived today. I was initially a bit apprehensive, because it comes with a cheap nylon case, and the blade is so long and thin that it seems flimsy. After using it, though, I'm very pleased. It cuts very efficiently and aggressively, with not much effort required - no bearing down whatsoever. It sectioned some dry maple so well that I went looking for the hardest wood we have around here, Hop Hornbeam. (My favorite firewood - it'll keep even my little tent stove burning all night.) Took down and cut up a five-inch tree in short order.

It's a bit heavy at 2 pounds, but it's going to replace my bow saw. Not only is it faster and easier in use, but it folds quickly and covers the entire blade - no fiddling with blade guards that tend to pop off and get lost.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE