Review on Spyderco Mule Copy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Hi All.

Recently I have made a Spyderco Mule clone for experimental project. I put the process of the making both here and BB. I got a few requests for the review of the end product - to see how it performs.

I have not expected really a great deal from this blade I made because I have not got proper tools or workshop let alone experience. However, I read a few articles on the internet on how to make blades..etc, and followed the instructions as faithfully I can.

I am also interested to see just how this piece of metal will perform under tough testing conditions.

Today was Sunday, and weather was fantastic, so I decided to play with it in the backgarden while doing some gardening chores as well as preparing for my workshop soil foundation.

First I did some apple & onion peeling & chopping in the kitchen. It was a doddle. The blade was comfy and gave me full control for peeling & chopping smallest apple & onions.
sharko1.jpg

Then I sharpened some pencils with it.
sharko2.jpg

Paper cutting.
sharko3.jpg

Shaving hair off legs.
sharko4.jpg

More hairs....yuk. LOL.
sharko5.jpg

Then I went out to the garden, and found some woods. These were all I could find. It looks a bit weathered but inside was solid.
sharko6.jpg

sharko7.jpg

sharko8.jpg

sharko9.jpg

Before the edge hits the gravels I brought the wood on the slabs to get some space underneath. And finished off cutting. Didn't take that long.
sharko10.jpg

Then splitting.
sharko11.jpg

And shaving .... the inside of the wood was solid & fresh.
sharko12.jpg

Cut some tree leaves and twigs...
sharko13.jpg

Thrown to the ground.
sharko14.jpg

to the grass patch.
sharko15.jpg

to the woods.
sharko16.jpg

Found some old furniture pieces from the shed. I think that it is some sort of processed wood - it looks like wood but inside is hardened with some chemical meterials to give more hardness.

It is like a piece of brick, but it cuts no problem within minutes.... But I just left it there as it will take a quite while to split the whole thing. Plus I want to keep this plank of wood for future project handle scale materials.

sharko17.jpg

Moved on to tree branches that huge anvil secateurs couldn't cut.
The mule copycat cut them in minutes.
sharko18.jpg

More tree branches...
sharko19.jpg

And then took bark off the cut branch..
sharko20.jpg

Totally skined branch.
sharko21.jpg

Some more chopping...
sharko22.jpg

And tried to make some pecks..and SWMBO called, and had to leave it there.
sharko23.jpg

After playing with it for a couple of hours, I came in. Tried to cut some paper.. and it obviously lost the sharpness. It was sharp enough to chop woods and stuff, but it is rough cutting papers.
sharko24.jpg

I gave some stropping with the carborundum stone. Not a lot just 10 strops for each side.
sharko25.jpg

And then smoothen the burrs with the Morrisons 2 quid sharpening steel. Again about 10 strops for each side.
sharko26.jpg

And guess what... it was cutting the same paper like a butter.
sharko27.jpg

Tried shaving hairs off my leg. Wow - it is shaving hairs no problem.
sharko28.jpg

The edge has became scary sharp.. even sharper than this morning. I am chuffed with this copycat.
sharko29.jpg

After having tough time - the blade was cleaned and put back beside the copycat No. 1.
sharko31.jpg

I think the blade is quite good. It has scary sharp cutting & chopping power. It could even be used for throwing & whittling. It kept the edge quite well. After 2-3 houirs hard use, when it lost sharpness - it tooks only 3 minutes to get the razor sharp edge back.

Thanks for reading this review. :)

Last edited:

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Holy @#+*, I dunno what to say... that certainly is some knife. Cheers for showing us.

Thank you JonathanD.
I cannot believe it myself either.
I m not sure if I got the heat treating right by fluke or what. But this piece of metal is cool. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE