Review: Hi-tec jungle boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Will update with picture once i get time when i get back from Malaysia and Saudi.

Back in November i had to purchase some new jungle boots for a trip away to SE Asia. I had used altama (the same that are issued to US forces) jungle boots whilst still in the mob but found that the last they used to form the boot was very narrow and my foot rubbed across the bend on the front as they are too shallow and had to remove the insole to fit after which they were just used as 'in camp' summer boots.

The original design of the altamas is valid and a proven design for hot and wet places. The Hi-tec stick to this design apart from a more 'normal' last having being used to form the boot the only changes are the additon of a small peice of padding to the top of the cordurra part and some cross hatching to the pannama sole (both of which IMO neither really added or remove anything from the function. That said the insole provided is perforated yet still very comfortable latex type material which actively pushes out the water through the drain holes a large improvement of the cross nylon one provided with the altamas (same as the frost trap in artic boots).

I have had hi-tec boots before and to be honest whilst being comforatable they never really lasted well, i'm happy to report that these boots have bucked that trend. I wore them for 53 days straight in Qatar, Malaysia and Sumartra and they not only proved very comfortable but very resilent to hard conditions. For a period of over 10 days they were used walking out in salt waddis and intertidal beach, lagoons and direct into the sea. Previous leather boots subject to this saline water onslaught have not faired well. These not only dried quickly but the salt was easy to remove once dry and did not damage the leather at all. only after the job was dubbin added to the boots making them look as new; i was very happy.

At about £40 they offer exceptional value for money if your in need for a hot weather boot or one that self vent water. They proved just the ticket in the jungle environment they are designed for and surprisingly work very well in wet sandy areas too.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have yet to try Hi Tecs but I sure can endorse what you say about the Altama last. I too experimented with removing the insole.

the problem was that the right foot was too narrow. This ws nothing to do with my feet but poor quality control. the right boot was stitched smaller than the left.

When will the labour get a decent wage?

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Good review!

I've never tried the Hi Tec boots, but I can agree that I removed the insolves of the Altama's after only a couple of days. I'm not sure what it is about the fit, but they were excessively narrow and made wondering around in the Borneo jungle rather annoying.

Cheers,

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've been using Hi-Tec boots for years and have always found them to be excellent.
I wonder if they make desert boots with steel toecaps?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love my Hi Tec Magnums!
I have used various models over the years - including the Jungle boots - and found them all very good.
The least durable in my experience (of the ones still available) is the bog standard CEN model...and I found that the zip tapes in the zipped ones died well before the rest of the boot.
I am actually wearing the Ion whatsit model at the moment - they are so comfortable that they are rarely off my feet whatever the weather or where I am... as slippers around the house, up the mountain (on paths) and in the woods - even with my DJ on posh occassions...

Sabot

Tenderfoot
Great review. I agree completely. Having used both the Altama and Hi-tec jungle boots (though never outside the UK) I'd like say that the hi-tec boots seem to have far better soles. My Altama soles wore very quickly, where my Hi-tecs are still going strong.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Great review. I agree completely. Having used both the Altama and Hi-tec jungle boots (though never outside the UK) I'd like say that the hi-tec boots seem to have far better soles. My Altama soles wore very quickly, where my Hi-tecs are still going strong.

I am currently trialing the HI-Tecs in the the jungle the environment they are supposedly designed for.

Comfort wise they are great as I have said before BUT the quick wearing Altama soles may be superior for traction in the jungle.

Harder soles and cross hatching could be fatal in the ulu. Better soles in the jungle are defined by grip on slippery bamboo bridges, mossy rocks and the ever present tree roots.

Sabot

Tenderfoot
I am currently trialing the HI-Tecs in the the jungle the environment they are supposedly designed for.

Comfort wise they are great as I have said before BUT the quick wearing Altama soles may be superior for traction in the jungle.

Harder soles and cross hatching could be fatal in the ulu. Better soles in the jungle are defined by grip on slippery bamboo bridges, mossy rocks and the ever present tree roots.

True. It may well be the case that the softer soles will provide better grip.

I've used both thoroughly in all Scottish terrains. From beaches to water filled gorges, from boggy swampland to open woodland. Including mossy rocks and tree roots aplenty. We are somewhat lacking in bamboo (something I wish we had), there are a good few other slippery log bridges though (and in my case made all the more difficult by airsofters taking pot shots at me :BlueTeamE ). And the Hi-tecs always performed better for me.

What we cant replicate or find an equivalent for is the jungle heat which may be a deciding factor. It will be very interesting to hear your conclusions once you have given them a real test.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE