Review - EXPED: DOWNMAT 7 PUMP DXL

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I now have one of the 9cm ones. Excellent as everyone says. Several nights in and the thing does stay inflated all night. Remarkable indeed. I also got the seat cover which is great, makes a comfortable seat and provides extra protection. I have left this cover on - it all rolls up to fit inside the bag that came with the seat cover as per the video on the Exped site (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVwPdsHA21o&feature=player_embedded). I'd highly recommend this extra. Great bits of kit all round. Chris

Last edited:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Anyone tried one yet in a DD hammock?

To answer my own question: I bought one (a 7) just before the Moot. Put it in the DD and slept very comfy every night. It slipped out of the double layered fabric, but that was my fault as I didn't put it far enough in it. It helps to keep the hammock more open / wider, so you've got a bit more room inside.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Interesting to hear that they can be used in a hammock I have been using one for a while and swear by it. I can generally go down one season rating of bag respectively and then build back up if I get it wrong by donning clothes.

In hammocK use to you folks inflate them quite a bit or leave it floppy :yikes:. I was about to order a down underquilt but may have to give this a try first.

Great review by the way John.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Just heard back from Exped:

"Dear Mark

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in our products. You can put all of out mats into the bottom of the Hammock, also the dlx-mats.

Best regards
Bea Erni

Exped AG
Hardstr. 81
CH-8004 Zuerich
Switzerland
Tel +41 (0) 44 497 10 10
Fax +41 (0) 44 497 10 11
Email info@exped.com
Web: http://exped.com"

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Interesting to hear that they can be used in a hammock I have been using one for a while and swear by it. I can generally go down one season rating of bag respectively and then build back up if I get it wrong by donning clothes.

In hammocK use to you folks inflate them quite a bit or leave it floppy :yikes:. I was about to order a down underquilt but may have to give this a try first.

Great review by the way John.

I inflate it just not as much as I'd do when grounddwelling, though I think it's just a case of personal preference.

Jan 22, 2012
Wendover
I've been using the Exped Downmat 7 DLX for a few months now and I'm delighted with it.

I'd like to flag up a successful Exped/Thermarest combo sleep system I've been using that works brilliantly, and certainly worth considering by anyone looking into camp bedding.

I'm someone who likes as bit of leg room, so I don't really get on with "mummy" style sleeping bags.

- Exped Downmat 7 DLX
- Thermarest Ventra Down Comforter
- Thermarest XL fitted sheet (30 x 77"/76 x 196 cm)

The sheet fits the mattress perfectly (doesn't come off in the night even if you're turning over lots. I was worried about this).
The down comforter has a kind of foot pocket that the mattress slips into and poppers that fix it to the underside rim of the fitted sheet.

Not the cheapest of camp beds for sure, but you get what you pay for, and can't put a price on a decent nights kip.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello and welcome to the forum :D

Thank you for the information :cool: I've been using an elasticated slip cover sheet I made for my mat and a quilt over the top, but I did wonder about some way of connecting the two. What a practical solution for a hammock too :)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE