Review - EXPED: DOWNMAT 7 PUMP DXL

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice clear review :D
I know I think mine is the best improvement in outdoor sleeping, ever :D

It seems expensive, but how much money do we spend on sleeping bags just to undermine their effectiveness with a poorer rated mat ?
The Down mat is worth every penny.

D

Deleted member 7976

I have had an older (pre-pump) downmat 7 DLX for a while and they are obscenely warm and comfortable. When I first used it I couldn't stop giggling, it just seemed like cheating. Even tree roots disappear beneath it.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Aaahhggggg yet another 'permission of dooooom' Are these posted over in the full members area?

It appears so. My membership has lapsed and I can't get in. Perhaps it's for the elite few. Dunno who that is tho 'cause my membership didn't let me do anything exciting within the forum!

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Used the 9cm Deluxe Mat with pump on the Arctic 2010 exped....
Like most folks here I understand clearly that heat is wicked away by lying on the ground.....it is not until you have slept on one of these that you appreciate the extent of the heat loss..

To put it into perspective....
Army Arctic sleeping bag, in an SF Bivvi bag.....stripped down to just my trolleys...even the socks came off :yikes:
Because of the insulation provided by the mat, I had to unzip the sleeping bag to half way down the bag, as I was overheating and generating too much moisture. (Not good in a seriously freezing environment)

It averaged minus 18 overnight folks, measured inside the tent, which had a box log burner going like the clappers and five other bodies in it.....

Some other folks did not fare so well, even with a 'combination' of foam mats and reindeer skins on branches / boughs as ground cover...it was uber cold....
Best investment I made for the entire trip. Comfy too.....

Hope this helps

Tom

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
those that could not see it try now.

I the future if someone can't see something then drop a PM to us so that we can have a look. This was a straight forward permissions issue.

We are going to be increasing the content that the FM's can see so that there is content just for them to view but we'll make that clear when it comes about.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Do these things really and truly stay inflated? I've tried a couple of others: alpkit, thermarest, etc., and they all seem to deflate after a few hours.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine does :D........so long as I make sure I've got the out valves properly closed :eek: It's as firm in the morning as it was when I went to bed.

cheers,
Toddy

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
I`ve been using one for a while now cracking piece of kit ,very insulated well worth the money,about five mins for the full pump alot to be said for the down in the winter you feel no cold passing through at all

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Just got to add my big thumbs up for mine. Last month I slept on it for 10 nights as I cycled from John O'Groats to Lands End, so I was worried about potential problems with waking up with cramp etc. The Downmat gave me as good a night's sleep as I could have had at home, and I had to keep quiet each morning as folk emerged from their tents grumbling about the cold/lumpy ground/cramps they got from their cheap Gelert thermarest-style mats.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Used mine several times now, and for me it's the best mat I have ever used. Although it's not the lightest, I feel it's small pack size means it will come with me on almost every outing! As they say, "any fool can be uncomfortable" This mat is really worth every penny and if it got lost / damaged beyond repair, it would be replaced with the same one without hesitation.

Thanks for the great review BTW.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I used it with a slumberdown hammock duvet thingy, not a sleeping bag.

Very comfortable - more so than a Fat Airic for me. I think the honeycomb flocking and the 'tubes' helped avoid any sweating. Best night’s sleep as a ground dweller.

Two points that I don’t think have been mentioned:
· You are advised that, when you first receive it, you should unroll it and leave it for 24 hours. I’m not sure how important this is but you may want to avoid buying one immediately before you want to use it.
· Although down filled, you do not actually lie on the down. So if you blow it up fully then you have a hard surface to lie on. You can make the mat softer (and for me more comfortable) by deflating it a little so that there is some give. I don't yet know if – when the weather is much colder – that means that I will have to have a trade-off between comfort (ie deflation) and warmth. This is because (as I understand it) the more the mat is deflated the less insulation you get. This factor may be a reason for getting the thicker 9cm mat but I don’t really know.

Advice/comment from those who have had the mat for some time would be useful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE