Review: Driftwoodwalker Necker vs SAK Spartan (Pic Heavy)

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I've been stuck in for various reasons recently. Tonight I was considering camping out for 5 items or less, but the garden needs sorted out before I move house. I've also bought a new necker knife from Lance (driftwoodwlaker) which Ive been meaning to put through its paces.

Fortunately for me, sorting the garden meant cutting down some of the branches spouting from a tree stump (by the by, not great with tree identification so if anyone knows what kind it is that would be great). So I did so with my bushy kit and had a play with the fresh green branches.

I thought I would compare the handmade neckers abilities to that of a Spartan SAK, which if you put in a leather pouch, is of similar size.

The knives:
photo-11.jpg

photo-10.jpg

The necker is a 2mm full tang, stabalised amboyona burl scales, black liners and mosaic pins. The SAK is a pretty old Spartan SAK I inherited from my grandfather, with no tweezers/toothpick and a nifty little glasses screw for the corkscrew!
photo-7.jpg

So i cut down the branches with my laplander and hacked off the little side sprouts with each knife, both performed equally well fot this, but the necker was more comfortable in the hand and felt safer:
photo.jpg

The Necker cut through the thickest branch in 3 easy cuts:
photo-13.jpg

The SAK managed to in 3 cuts, but much more difficult, and not a clean cut:
photo-12.jpg

photo-6.jpg

The nacker made easy work of a thinner branch:
photo-8.jpg

The SAK still struggled with a single clean cut on the thinner branch:
photo-14.jpg

But on a second attempt with the shorter knife it did pretty well:
photo-1.jpg

And the tried stripping the bark, whick i think the SAK excelled at using the screw driver, but it was just as easy to carve a little tool for the same task with the necker.
photo-3.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Conclusion:
well to start with, Im well impressed with the iphone camera - this is the first time ive put it to good use.
Second, for small branch whittling you cant beat a small SAK for its size and functional ability. Was slightly worried for my fingers at times.
The necker is more robust, can handle a little more and is just beautiful to look at and handle!!! It really is just so comfortable for so many different grips.

Both great knives, very different price tags. Was a handmade necker a waste of money - HELL NO!!!!

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

millie-mail

Forager
Apr 9, 2011
Oxfordshire
Great review, thanks. I have a PP made by Lance which gets daily use and by coincidence I ordered a necker from him yesterday.
Cant wait for it to arrive after reading this. (Pics are good too.)

Dave.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Cheers guys. The necker is a thing of beuty, and so good to handle. I opted for 2mm so I can utilise it a a seondary knife to my 4mm bushy for finer tasks. I didn't go for filework due to funds, but it's still beutifull! I wanted a slightly more substantial handle that the pocket pal looks to have. The knife alone still weighs almost nothing, but not yet put it on the kitchen scales.
I cannot stress how impressed I am with the cameraphone pictures, I think it has a lot to do with good natural lighting

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE