Retiring Tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Dad is in a Good Mood and has promised me a new tent...mine I have had since 2012.

But its still Usable. Im just doubtful as to its long term viability.

what would you do with a tent like that?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, a nice day. Parental Unit is restless as his car is in the garage, (With horrific interior issues the likes of which most of us would give up on, particularly as aforesaid vehicle is over 20 years old...)

I took him on a road trip to deliver small artefact which normally would be entrusted to Royal Mail....then to get groceries (he remained in the car, in the shade, with the window down, as advised by media).

"Lets go to Cotswold Outdoors, have a look at their tents, seeing as you want one."

"I havent decided yet."

"But we are out and the cars warmed up; if you go home then it will get cold again."

(I kid you not; this is what he said).

I had explained to him that this was not a cheap store, but they sold good stuff, and he has noted my immense satisfaction with their service/products in the past.

So, to cut a short story shorter a brand new Vango Scaefell 300+ was pressed into my completely unresisting hands, after I explained my summer plans to a sympathetic member of staff.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, but he knows I will look after it.

And he didnt flinch at the price.

Im hoping his car will be saveable the timing belt flipped with predictable resultant damage.

GSW

May 16, 2021
Carmarthenshire
I still have the tent my parents bought me in 1950. I retired it in the 1970's and it has not been pitched since. I don't think I'd like to sit out a mountain storm in it again.
Good for you. With a heavy heart, I sold my Blacks Mountain tent owned from new Circa 60's (?). Couldn't get down to get in the thing anymore! Now bought this Tepee thing which, centrally, I can stand up in. Plus a stove - 'Luxury you can afford with Cyril Lord' as the expression went. Going to use the thing for the first time shortly (OS Explorer 187; SN806/562)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
My scout leader used to use a canvas tent that was in Oswall Baileys first catalogue so over a 100 years old at this point and to my knowledge the tent is still going. Even after an encounter with a herd of sheep.
As long as you keep reproofing them and repair them they should last a long time however nylon is prone to UV damage so maybe not as long as canvas.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Good tent. 3 person with extended porch and 3.6kg for £230 direct from vango. Not bad.

We got a helsport lofoten pro few years ago, similar style of tent. £580 tent and 3.1kg all in with pegs, poles and bag. Tiny pack size and a good, 4 season tent. However I think now I'd prefer your vango and keep the difference.

We've had only good performance out of the smaller vango tents. The big 7 man family one we had wasn't that great though. I hope you have many years of fun camping out with it. We have with our £70 beta 350. Bought 10 years ago and it's still the summer tent of choice for two adults, a 9 year old and a dog.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Put it up today.

Once you get the poles in, (Ali ones, slide in quite easily) it practically stands up itself.

It oozes quality, and it packs away easily. (as I told my Father; you can see it is a good tent as it has a roomy bag) A good tent.

I am well happy and no doubt will cherish it for year to come. however it is a little low for something that I aim to spend a month in.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Cotton tents become old, silnylon tents too, polyurethane coated polyester tents usually not because they degrade even in the best storage. They are OK to buy and use one after the other but no good idea to store as a spare.

I would nowadays keep a silnylon tent and for sure a cotton tent but sell a polyurethane coated polyester tent if I don't use it.

I recently went through my old stuff and did throw all polyester tents away. A waste of 1000 €, the price of a Hilleberg tent or Tschum cotton Kota....

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE