Restored Adze so far... many pics

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I wanted to restore an adze I got from Biker (thanks again)

adze1.jpg

adze2-1.jpg

I brushed off the loose rust then used a bucket of washing soda and some old iron bar connected up to a battery (9v) for about 6hrs...

adze2.jpg

adze5.jpg

adze4.jpg

The rust washed away or was a layer of black glop that came off with a panscourer.....

adze6.jpg

there was some mushrooming at the end so I filed it off...

adze8.jpg

I made a handle from a bit of ?cedar from an old tentpole..

adze9.jpg

I sharpened up the blade and reshaped the small chip a bit...

adze11.jpg

adze10.jpg

I made a small sheath for it, and am now waiting for the weekend to give it a proper go....

It was a good project, and I was very pleased with the electrolysis...

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Superb job!!

You're going to have to walk me through that electrolysis part, that's borderline magic as far as I'm concerned. Glad you went for the longer handle option too.

By the looks of things I'd say your one is flatter than my one. Looking forward to reading how it goes once you use it. Really pleased this tool got some TLC and is back in the frey again.

Nice work John, really nice work.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Great job John!

What is the set up for the electrolysis method exactly? It certainly works pretty well!

Andy

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Thanks for the replies...

I followed the general plan here http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1320&p=9015&hilit=electrolysis#p9015
and goggled a bit as well...
I used a plastic bucket, a bit of thick iron bar as the +ve node...
I'd got some washing soda, and mixed a cupful into the bucket of water.
I used a 9v battery and changed it a couple of times, I'd have prefer to have used a battery charger, but didnt have access to one....
There were bubbles coming off both bits, and the adze looked very like the pic in the link, so I felt it had worked well enough...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE