Resin glue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Make a wound on the bark of a coniferous tree pine, spruce ect, and come back in a few days, snap off and pop in a bag.

In worked coniferous plantations the Pines are often grazed by machinery, and a lot can be collected there

Get permission though, and preferabally do it on a tree thats due to be felled, as it doesnt do the tree any good.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
you melt it down so its liquidised, or more of a syrup, cut an indent into the shaft of the spear, then put the melted resin into the indent, place your spear head in the resin, bind it, leave it to dry. I think thats pretty much it, going from what i saw on a ray mears episode, if im wrong im sure someone will correct me :)

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I believe he adds crushed charcoal to stop the resin being so brittle. It is thermoplastic so you can keep heating it to mould it and then it will set hard. If you can, watch the episodes where he makes a bow in the Bushcraft series and where he goes spear fishing in the Ardeche gorge in France.

Resin glue-

Coniferous tree resin, pine is good. This is the sticky bit of the glue recipe.
Very finely crushed charcoal-like talc. This gives strength and colour.
Beeswax-this gives elasticity to the glue. Without it, the glue is brittle and useless for anything practical really.

Melt the resin-it may go on fire but it will burn out. When it's runny add enough to colour it jet back and then add a very small amount of beeswax. Too much beeswax will make it too soft when set and too little will make the glue too brittle. Generally add a small bit first, try the glue then remelt it to add some more if you need to until you have it right. What you have then is a thermoplastic waterproof glue which is very very strong and waterproof too.

You can make it into a lolipop or even better hollow an elder stick out by pushing the pith out, pour the glue in when it's melted. The elder will act as a container. Wrap some string or sinew around the outside with a bone needle and there you have a good bushcraft make and repair kit.

Good luck

WS

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
what can you do with the glue?

Stick things together :DI have made spears- setting the head into the shaft, arrows, put bases into birchbark pots, put handles on bone knives and walking sticks...use it as you would any "hot glue" - it is pleanty strong!Some folks use rabbit droppings instead of charcoal.....

Woodlark

Oct 18, 2006
Surrey, UK
I believe that the guy Ray Meras built the canoe with said that the glue also contained another agent to make it more flexible ...... bear fat!! I can get plenty of mutton tallow if anyone wants some, but the bear fat might be more difficult!!:lmao:

Feb 10, 2010
yorkshire
Hi

Adding wood ash instead of ground charcoal to the pine resin also works well (added benefit, you don’t need to grind it). Found you don’t need to add too much, test the consistency as you go. Bee’s wax is the is the magic ingredient, gives the glue a smoothness too it.

PS: don’t make my mistake when I ran out of bees wax, tried a modern candle, definitely doesn’t work, separates out into a pot of goo :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE