Rescuing an axe.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I found a rather rusty axe in a friends shed, and he said I could have it as it was no use to him. It's quite a large axe head, with a long handle. The handle is useless having succumb to wood worm and will be going in the fire. The axe head tho, while rusty, should in theory be perfectly serviceable.

Can anyone suggest the best way to go about this rescue? My initial thought is to dunk it in some coke over night to clear up the rust. Thoughts?

J

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
About twenty ways to do it from the highly technical to the simple.

Coke works, but citric acid solution works better (both work by acid dissolving rust and steel)

Coating the head in molasses also works - although in a chemically different way that is less likely to damage the steel.

You can just brush the rust off with a wire brush - either the hand held type or the drill mounted type

You can electrolyse the rust off using a battery charger and bucket of washing soda

....any of them taking your fancy?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
In short, get the rust off without damaging the good steel underneath, and stick a new handle on it. Sounds promising.

(Which reminds me - must finish the one I started last year... :eek:)

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
battery charger and a bucket of washing soda really appeals, it means i can wear my lab coat and laugh maniacally.
:D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The washing soda technique is superb melonfish - its basically electro plating in reverse - like the molasses technique it does not damage the underlying metal. It is particularly good at restoring thin metal (like saw blades) where abrasion etc would be problematic.

I am told the molasses technique works well QG - the underlying science is sound for sure - may take a while, but...so what?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE