Request for the leather workers: can I pay someone to make me a "swivel sheath"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ramapo

Aug 14, 2007
NYC
Hi all,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place...

I would like someone who knows how to make sheaths to make a "swivel sheath" for one of my bushcraft knives. Here's what I mean: I'm more of a backpacker than a bushcrafter, and I'm never able to wear a knife on my belt because my backpack's hipbelt is worn over it. This creates a problem. I can't find a good way to carry my knife while I'm on the go. Recently though, I came up with an idea...I just don't have the necessary sheath making skills to follow through on it.

I'd like a sheath with a swivel clip, similar to what you might see on Blackberry and cell phone "holsters". If the sheath held the knife firmly and had a rotating clip, I could attach it to the straps and webbing of my pack so that it's always accessable.

Does this make sense? I'm not sure that I'm describing it very well.

Just try to imagine something like this clip on the back of a bushcraft sheath:

http://www.smartphoneoutlet.com/sei...m=shopping_engine&utm_campaign=GoogleProducts

I'd like to have this made for either my Skifa Scandi (made by Charles May) or my Skookum Carver.

Let me know if you think you could do this and how much it would cost.

Thanks,
Dave

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Perhaps send Rancid Badger a PM, as he creates some of the best leathercraft which I've ever seen.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Hi all,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place...

I would like someone who knows how to make sheaths to make a "swivel sheath" for one of my bushcraft knives. Here's what I mean: I'm more of a backpacker than a bushcrafter, and I'm never able to wear a knife on my belt because my backpack's hipbelt is worn over it. This creates a problem. I can't find a good way to carry my knife while I'm on the go. Recently though, I came up with an idea...I just don't have the necessary sheath making skills to follow through on it.

I'd like a sheath with a swivel clip, similar to what you might see on Blackberry and cell phone "holsters". If the sheath held the knife firmly and had a rotating clip, I could attach it to the straps and webbing of my pack so that it's always accessable.

Does this make sense? I'm not sure that I'm describing it very well.

Just try to imagine something like this clip on the back of a bushcraft sheath:

http://www.smartphoneoutlet.com/sei...m=shopping_engine&utm_campaign=GoogleProducts

I'd like to have this made for either my Skifa Scandi (made by Charles May) or my Skookum Carver.

Let me know if you think you could do this and how much it would cost.

Thanks,
Dave
Just get the aftermarket cell phone hanger and put it on your sheath

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are a number of ways of achieving what you want - have a look at "Tek Loks" which are normally used to provide flexible attachment (although normally on Kydex rather than leather) - Rapidboy works in Kydex and does sheath commissions.

Tek Lok

2201622611_763f77923d_o.jpg

Alternatively just put a long belt loop joined with a D ring to the normal belt loop so your knife hangs below the hip belt of your Bergan. This is known as the "double dangler" rig in leather. It also makes a lot easier to sheath and withdraw your knife.

Double Dangler
2831585156_617fe885eb.jpg

Red

Ramapo

Aug 14, 2007
NYC
Hi all. Thanks for the information. Very helpful & much appreciated. I've contacted the sheath makers you suggested.

Thanks again!

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE