Reptiles In The Rain

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Contrary to popular belief, at this time of year, as well as in Feb/March, it is very common to see reptiles when it is quite cold, overcast and raining. This time of year, those reptiles that give birth to live young and are gravid, will take every opportunity to bask and heat up. This is so the young can develop quickly inside them before the colder weather starts creeping in.

Reptiles in this country need to give birth at least six to eight weeks prior to the mid/end of October so that the young can grow and build up fat reserves to survive hibernation. Gravid females also need to recover sufficiently as giving birth really takes them to the edge of survival compared to birds and mammals. Adders don't eat for a good while prior to giving birth, and look emaciated and close to death if the development of their young has taken too long.

So today it was cold, windy and wet. And still we find these females out desperately trying to get warm so they can give birth sooner rather than later. Obviously it's best not to disturb them, so I only did one pass of the area, and avoided the ones I visited last week.

27Aug20125.jpg

27Aug20126.jpg

27Aug20127.jpg

27Aug201210.jpg

27Aug201211.jpg

27Aug201212.jpg

27Aug201213.jpg

27Aug201214.jpg

27Aug201215.jpg

27Aug201226.jpg

27Aug201227.jpg

27Aug201235.jpg

27Aug201236.jpg

27Aug201240.jpg

27Aug201238.jpg

And again, the slow-worms were out after those yummy grey slugs...

27Aug201217.jpg

27Aug201223.jpg

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
interesting and informative as always jonathan, anybody'd think you did this kind of thing for a living :rolleyes:

it always amazes me how many adders you manage to see when you're out and about, i've seen them in the wild loads of times but always by accident. any hints/tips as to where/when i should be looking for them?

cheers

stuart

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Too right.

All you can do then is find a known area where reptiles are present, and just persevere. It's well worth it.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Too right.

All you can do then is find a known area where reptiles are present, and just persevere. It's well worth it.

don't suppose there's such a thing as an online resource that'll give me some idea about local populations is there?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
don't suppose there's such a thing as an online resource that'll give me some idea about local populations is there?

Population areas are protected and people are reluctant to shout about them due to how maligned and targeted snakes, and especially adders are. The best resource is your local ARG. They do educational walks and talks and are always willing to help anyone with an interest. You should be able to find a link to your local ARG here - http://www.arguk.org/

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Population areas are protected and people are reluctant to shout about them due to how maligned and targeted snakes, and especially adders are. The best resource is your local ARG. They do educational walks and talks and are always willing to help anyone with an interest. You should be able to find a link to your local ARG here - http://www.arguk.org/

cheers for that mate, i thought it might be a bit of a hush hush type of subject to honest.

your link brought me to here http://www.derbyshirearg.co.uk/ which is based just down the road from me, i shall get in touch and see if they know 'owt

cheers

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE