reproofing a crappy plastic tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
....just replacing it isnt an option

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about reproofing plastic tarps you get in hardware stores, usually blue, green or white in colour.

I know they arnt that expensive but it has been cut and sewn to fit something perfectly and that took alot of time and effort, so unfortunately it has to be this one.

any suggestions welcome

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
not sure if it works on plastic but you could look at the nikwax jacket waterproofing packets, just cold soak and let dry, they aren't that expensive and migth be worth a try.

Last edited:

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
I would go home made silicone rather than nikwax as the nikwax needs to be absorbed into the material to work properly.
The silicone will seal any small (pinprick) holes better than anything else.

sent from my windswept fell using Tapatalk 4

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If it's the woven, crackly plastic type stuff, you haven't a hope in hell of making it waterproof with silicone or any other waterproofing compound. The best bet might be something like "Isoflex" but for what it costs, I think you'd be as well to start again really.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If it's the woven, crackly plastic type stuff, you haven't a hope in hell of making it waterproof with silicone or any other waterproofing compound. The best bet might be something like "Isoflex" but for what it costs, I think you'd be as well to start again really.

What he said ^

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Polyethylene "blue" tarps are totally waterproof, as they are extruded plastic film, not woven fabric (nylon or polyester)with a waterproof coating (polyurethane or silicone). Sp if your shaped fabrication is leaking, it has holes in it, or is leaking along the joints between pieces. These can be taped with transparent duct tape or similar. Probably better to start again with a new tarp and tape the seams instead of sewing. or make overlapping joins and use impact adhesive. Here are a series of excellent videos on making a shaped tarp, which will make good viewing for any bushcrafter. Shows just how inexpensive a good shelter can cost with a little bit of effort. use your imagination to make a bug nest using a couple of patio window sheers and a samll blue tarp for a bathtub floor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnO4Nplk9m8&list=PLE757918520489A43

He makes really good alcohol stoves as well.

Juv2112

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
West Wales
Sorry I don't know the trade names but there is a substance that comes in tins for painting onto flat roofs to reproof them. I have seen it used on that tarp material and it was used to cover a homemade coracle. It worked so well that a local hardware store used a photo of it being paddled as an advert for the product.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Sorry I don't know the trade names but there is a substance that comes in tins for painting onto flat roofs to reproof them. I have seen it used on that tarp material and it was used to cover a homemade coracle. It worked so well that a local hardware store used a photo of it being paddled as an advert for the product.

There are loads of stuff out there http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roofing+Drainage/Roof+Compound+Waterseals/d250/sd2809 (I just had to buy some emergency sealant for a flat roof, so thats why I linked to that company, because thats where I got it from) but I must admit, perhaps its best to get something new, and use the old bit of tarp as a template.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
It might be just as well to get another cheap tarp and customize it again if you have the time. Reproofing agents are not that cheap, and might not work. Depending on the size of your tarp you could probably just start anew cheaper.

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
its a tipi that i am currently living in. it has been sewn together to perfectly fit these poles. it has smoke flaps, and a proper door and is pinned toggether front etc. alot of time was put into making it. it has been lived in for two years before, by two different people one year each. i am the third person and i will (if it holds up) be doing it for a year. so already ben exposed to sun, rain, wind, snow, and minus temperatures quite a bit.

the white tarp goes kinda grey/translucent in places when it rains heavily, and theres loads of drips and drops running down the inside of it. i dont have a cable for my camera so cant upload pics yet unfortunately but its the usual woven plastic tarp type, cept in white. i guess its similar to this type

there are no visable holes that i can see

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I think someone wasted a lot of time sewing something that was never going to last.You would be throwing more money at a
lost cause. These polytarps are not built to last, they disintegrate in UV light.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Two years plus years in a cheap set up like that is real good, why don't you just use the original tarps as a template as others have suggested? Cheap living yee ha! You can do it. I say go for it Sir.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE