Reproof an old army gortex jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I have been given an old army gortex jacket, it's an unusual piece as it has breast pockets and the hood has a wire running around the rim.
Nice and comfy but it's not waterproof. In the recent rain yesterday the sleeves lasted about 15 minutes and the rest started to give up within half an hour. It was quite heavy rain but I would have expected it to last a bit longer than it did.
So the question is what's the best way to reproof the jacket to make it waterproof again or is it a lost cause?

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Clean it with Nikwax cleaner then reproof with their Goretex reproofer. Made a huge difference to mine - the Goretex has an outer layer than should be water repellent and when it gets dirty water clogs it instead of running off. That means the breathable layer can't pass moisture through and away from you and you get wet.
Hope this helps
Phil

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Old thread I realise, but the TX direct stuff - given you don't apply it to the relevant side directly, what stops it from waterproofing the other side too, i.e. the breathable non-waterproofed inside?

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Might just be that the pores are clogged and the moisture is sweat.

Try washing in some basic soap, then re-proof with nikwax etc..

If its the membrane itself that's damaged there's no way to fix it, you'll have to get another one.

Tonyuk

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
The later issue jackets had the breast pockets. Though I really wish they had side/hand pockets.

A wash with the techwash or basic soap powder, if you can find it (not washing machine powder). Then when dried, give it a tumble dry on a low heat, which should help revive the membrane.

I wonder if goretex will leak when it's dirty and clogged up? I would have thought it would just not be able to breath? I will adnmit that I've not used any of my gortex long enough to wear it out, as ex-mil stuff seems to keep coming my way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE