Reprofiling help needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I recently bought a John Nowill survival knife. Whilst it is a really sturdy knife, it came with a terrible grind. One side of the blade had a poor convex grind, and the other had a crude sort of double bevel.

I want to get it to a convex grind It will probably be doing a lot of chopping and heavy duty work.

To get me there I currently have the following:

4 waterstones: 200, 800, 2000 & 5000 grit
A draper sharpening stone (very rough)
Sand paper
A DC4
A sharpening steel
No files
No money to send it off for reprofiling :( (though I'd love to do this)

Thanks in advance for all your advice. This forum is brilliant.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Make one of these and your away. Basically a black of wood with foam on top. Pin wet and dry over the foam and stroke into the edge. Best way to do convex edges bar none.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Thanks HillBill - I'll give that a try. Now where did I put that wet dry paper!
This might be a stupid question, but what difference will wet dry have to sandpaper?
I'm guessing because it's finer, it will give a better edge, like the difference between 200 grit stone and a 1000 grit stone, but can I do something similar to your wood block with sand paper to get it going faster?
Or is sand paper too thick for the foam to have an effect?
Also, what do you mean by stroke into the edge?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks for your time, the pictures and your prompt reply.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I may be a bit naive here, but if the product is poorly manufactured, why not just send it back for a refund and buy something made a little better?
I should have done. I bought it from HH so they probably would have refunded/replaced it very quickly.
However, in the excitement of getting a new knife I jumped straight into sanding the scales down to better suit my hand. To be honest I thought I'd be able to sort the edge issues out with half an hour on the stones, but it hasn't happened.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You need rough grits to start with, sandpaper or wet n dry will both work. Whn you have it how you want it, go onto finer grits to finish it off.

By stroke into the edge i mean edge leading rather than edge trailing.

Thanks HillBill - I'll give that a try. Now where did I put that wet dry paper!
This might be a stupid question, but what difference will wet dry have to sandpaper?
I'm guessing because it's finer, it will give a better edge, like the difference between 200 grit stone and a 1000 grit stone, but can I do something similar to your wood block with sand paper to get it going faster?
Or is sand paper too thick for the foam to have an effect?
Also, what do you mean by stroke into the edge?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks for your time, the pictures and your prompt reply.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
You need rough grits to start with, sandpaper or wet n dry will both work. Whn you have it how you want it, go onto finer grits to finish it off.

By stroke into the edge i mean edge leading rather than edge trailing.

Thanks Silver Trader for this 'idiot' proof guide to achieving a convex. Now to embarrass myself! -Looking at your axe sharpening photo - does 'stroke into the edge' mean the carbide paper is moving towards the blade edge or away from it? Sorry to give you an AArrrrgghh!!! NNooooooo!!!! moment....but I'm trying to learn this stuff.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
No worries member :D

It means towards the blade, like your trying to cut into it with the edge. Going from right to left in the second pic down i posted :)

Thanks Silver Trader for this 'idiot' proof guide to achieving a convex. Now to embarrass myself! -Looking at your axe sharpening photo - does 'stroke into the edge' mean the carbide paper is moving towards the blade edge or away from it? Sorry to give you an AArrrrgghh!!! NNooooooo!!!! moment....but I'm trying to learn this stuff.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Its pretty easy to get the hang of.... just put a bit of pressure on the blade behind the edge and stroke away. It might take a while to get the shape how you want it, but once you have, sharpening is quick and easy. :)

Thanks a lot - now perhaps I too can get a convex on my John Nowill blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE